All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Id actually forgotten about this album, not the big song obviously, but Clappers was in quite a few bands, John Mayalls Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Delany & Bonnie, Derek & The Dominoes, Roger Waters...have I missed any ?
No doubting this is a fine album, maybe one too many covers but Im being picky.
Of course Layla is the standout, Its not my favourite Clapton album, that would be 90210 Ocean Boulevard. :) But its a fine offering.
It flows very nicely from song to song, and from side to side, building towards the title track. It is a very comfortable melding of traditional blues and rock music circa 1970. There are well written tunes, classic blues, great guitar work from Eric and Duane, passionate vocals from Eric and Bobby Whitlock, and a great, anchoring rhythm section in Jim Gordon and Carl Radle. I've had it on one form or another since about 1972, and it is one I welcome going back too.
Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad may be my favorite track, the one track that approaches the passion of Layla, and much less played.
I always felt Layla needed a better singer than Eric though, I cant help but feel that whenever I hear it.
Eric did a lot of very good and some great work after Layla. As time passes I appreciate his solo work more and more. It battled against an expectation based on Cream or Derek and the Dominoes over the years. That wasn't what he was doing anymore, for the most, so people (me) were disappointed. But I have found a LOT more appreciation what he did from 461Ocean Boulevard through From the Cradle. I'm a fan of Eric's career as a whole.

Id give this album a 7/10, only let down by a poor/flat cover of Little Wing, and one too many covers in general.

Based on my earlier remarks and looking at the fact that Bill Walker whose musical tastes and knowledge of music I admire a lot has in a nutshell summarised my thoughts in the main although clearly Layla is not on my list of Eric's best work Ocean Boulevard is clearly for me head and shoulders above anything he has done solo so to speak all thing s considered a 6/10.

As Bill alludes to too many covers and for me the covers are the best tracks on the album.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.