"Blackfishing"

I understand the history of why people don’t like, get offended by or don’t want this kind of things happen. But is there an argument to say this outlook is old fashioned these days? Especially with the way we all want to embrace multiculture and multiethnicity.

I don’t even particularly look at the way Jesy Nelson has dressed, danced and sang in this video is particularly “black” anymore. Yes came from black America, it became a way black British girls (and the male equivalent) appropriated black America, but now I just see it as a homogenous multicultural multiethnic American and British urban style. The sub-culture/culture has outgrown black America. But unlike America where their inner cities often have separate areas for different ethnicities; inner cities in Britain are multicultural and multiethnic.

People might think that’s taking black culture away from black people; others might think that’s stepping forward in embracing black culture. Just like the rude boys and the skinheads of the 60s, with white skinheads dressing like Jamaican immigrants to Britain and sharing the same culture and music with them (before skinheads of the 80s ruined what skinhead was all about).

Jesy Nelson (and it doesn’t have to be her as an individual, of course; it can be talked of in general terms for any people) may come from a group of friends from childhood that was multiethnic. She could have had black friends, likely listened to music, did dance moves, dressed up like and did her hair similar to her black friends and the people making the music she liked from an early age. She wasn’t even thinking of it as appropriating culture or mimicking black people, she probably and innocently dreamed of making songs and music videos like this from being a kid and since she may be part of the multicultural multiethnic American and British urban style culture; that’s what she’s done.

The way Madness dressed, danced and made music in the 80s is exactly the same as this with Jesy Nelson. They appropriated black Jamaican culture, dress styles, dance moves and musical genres. But they are classed as a classic British pop band and were loved and celebrated by all ethnicities.

If you compare this Jesy to another Jesse - Jesse Lingard… Lingard grew up in the very white town of Warrington, was brought up by his two white grandparents, probably had very little exposure to multicultural multiethnic American and British urban style culture in his growing up environment, yet he talks and acts like inner-city Manchester black people/multiethnic people do. He even had a black American/multicultural multiethnic American and British urban style culture nickname and logo.

Jesse’s thing is never mentioned in a negative light; Jesy’s has caused a storm in a teacup. But Jesy might have actually grown up around more of a multicultural multiethnic American and British urban style culture than Jesse did despite her being white and him being of mixed ethnicity.

Now the extreme tanning thing is a slightly different topic to the above. But when you look back at Little Mix over the years, and see many white girls all around, tanning, makeup, eye lashes, the daft lips (and even things like perfume and aftershave) can increasingly become an obsessive thing where at first it’s be moderate but after a while becomes extreme.

It could be as innocent of that; it might well be that she’s trying to look at black as possible. But unless she comes out and admits that, I don’t think that should be thrown at her.
Some good points. But I would argue thst most UK cities very much are divided along racial lines. And class...

I think a key point here is the use of culture by different groups. Black UK people looked to the US at a time when black British culture wasn't as strong. So it reaffirmed their identity in a positive way.

Madness and the specials created 2 tone as a message of racial unity at a time when there was severe racial violence. They also had a deep respect for Jamaican music and worked collaboratively with jamaican/uk musicians. So this isn't appropriation.

But the key point here is that white people do not live in a racist system and have not been oppressed because of their race. Black people and many others have. So when a white person appropriated black culture it is in this context of racism and colonialism. This is also why white people can't be victims of racism. There is no historical context for racism towards whites. We still live in the context of colonialism and slavery and the effects of this are still very prevalent for many people of colour around the world.

You could post that in virtually every other thread on this forum. It's snide of you to choose this one to post it.
i genuinely dont think so, both subjects are at they are extremes of seriousness. Whether you like it or not. So its actually a good comparison to show up how trivial this matter is to the vast majority of people of all ethnicities.

i genuinely dont think so, both subjects are at they are extremes of seriousness. Whether you like it or not. So its actually a good comparison to show up how trivial this matter is to the vast majority of people of all ethnicities.
Amazing how important it seems to be to some people to tell others how trivial something is.

She was a gorgeous, talented, independent woman, with a gift few ever get. Her range not matched till Beyonce came along 25 or so years later.
He manipulated her and ultimately caused her death.
The **** drives around Beverly hills in his Bentley giving it the big I am.
One hit that twat had. One hit.
Thats his perogative. No matter the man you cant belittle his musical accomplishmemts. You're clearly forgetting the song from Ghostbusters 2.

Thats his perogative. No matter the man you cant belittle his musical accomplishmemts. You're clearly forgetting the song from Ghostbusters 2.
Have I understood you correctly? It’s Bobby Brown’s “prerogative” to act like a ****? Explain yourself or get out of here

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.