The Album Review Club - Week #122 - (page 1438) A Black Mile To The Surface – Manchester Orchestra

What did you digress into matey, to be fair potentially over a different period I think I followed a similar-ish path?
Bowie. I got into Bowie just as he was getting shit! Still...I had all his back catalogue to discover and that was a real journey. And then I got into stuff like the Bunnymen, Talking Heads, New Order...which lead me to local bands around the mid to late 80s.

Early or late Radiohead?

Two totally different animals.
It doesn’t matter. He’s always trying to copy Bono. Just like the atmospherics copy Pink Floyd, albeit with more technology, and the tempos Joy Division.

At least after they were done ripping off PiL, U2 decided to run out a bunch of songs with a martial snare and wrote simplistic yet effective social commentary.

Thom York writes seven minute dirges about how he can’t find his keys, or he’s out of milk, or he missed the bus or something. Selling pain by the pound — pretty good racket.

Last edited:
I always thought of Thom Yorke as being genuine and deep, as opposed to Bongo's insincerity and fake rock god persona.
Well U2 was always an arena rock band. They never pretended they were smaller even when they were. Yorke sells dark moaning cynicism to teenagers. I mean, if having tens of millions isn’t going to drag you out of the dumps, what is?

Well U2 was always an arena rock band. They never pretended they were smaller even when they were. Yorke sells dark moaning cynicism to teenagers. I mean, if having tens of millions isn’t going to drag you out of the dumps, what is?
No they were not.
Their first 3 albums they were not anywhere near an arena rock band.
I would say that bono's head was not up his own arse at that period as well.

I think he's cheered up these days. The next Radiohead album will be party songs.

right...

Physical Graffiti.

By Led Zeppelin.

Kashmir. It's the best damn rock song in the history of damn rock songs but weirdly isn't my favourite on here. That distinction goes to the absolute pearl of a song called In My Time of Dying. It has always been my favourite Led Zep song due to the guitar/ drum back and forth with Plant just strolling along enjoying the ride.

As for the rest of the album? Trampled Underfoot, Custard Pie, Houses of the Holy all do it for me big time. And then...

An album of two halves...

After Kashmir, I mean what could follow that opus, it all slows down a bit. The Wanton Song tries to inject a sense of urgency to proceedings before the whole experience tails off with The Swan Song. I like the more mellow offerings but it feels like two albums to me...the rocky blues of the first half followed by the more mellow blues/ acoustic of the second.

It's been on all afternoon in my music room whilst I've been doing other stuff and to be honest I've loved it. It's been a while since I listened to it all the way through with only maybe side three getting a skip the third time around...Bron and Seaside don't really do it for me.

Score wise?

Hmm...if it didn't have Kashmir then it would be a solid 7.

It does...

So an even more solid 8.

No they were not.
Their first 3 albums they were not anywhere near an arena rock band.
I would say that bono's head was not up his own arse at that period as well.
They absolutely were — or had pretensions of being so. Listen to the first twenty seconds of I Will Follow. Hear that echo? Now try Gloria. Listen to the chorus. You can almost see Bono raising his mike to the adoring crowd.

But . . . I didn’t say that was bad though. I like U2. At one point I really, really liked them. Seen them in concert more than any other band from the War tour up through, what, 12 years ago I think? They’re pretty good at it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.