Ligue 1 Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Troyes will be disappointed that they couldn’t hold on for the win over Rennes today (2-2), but it’s another point and keeps their run going. Currently sitting a respectable 14th.

For those who are interested in genuine football history, can I strongly recommend that you read the excellent article on Red Star on the BBC website. It is extremely refreshing to see a journalist redress the balance as regards French football (which does have a history). PSG were invented in 1970. Red Star existed long, long before them. As a matter of fact, in the 50s, it was Reims, if anyone, who were the star club in French football, with Raymond Kopa leading the line. Nantes are an old and venerable club. So are Racing Club Lens. So, it has to be said — although their supporters are very gobby in a Liverpudlian kind of way — are Olympique de Marseille.
I'm particularly sensitive to this kind of thing in that a whole raft of younger supporters, including sometimes younger blues themselves, seem to think that we were created in 2008, rather than being aware that we, like other clubs in and out of the Premier League, some of whom have fallen on very hard times, were created by the nineteenth century industrial revolution and the newly acquired rights of working men to have Saturday afternoons off in the latter part of that century.

Troyes are currently one up against Nice.

We currently have four players on loan at Troyes: Erik Palmer-Brown, Issa Kabore, Patrick Roberts, and Philippe Sandler. The first two are on the bench today but the other two haven’t even made the squad in the last three games. I don’t think they’re injured either and looking at their stat I see they haven’t even managed 90 minutes between them this season. Looks like another year off before their respective contracts terminate next season.
It seems to me that Roberto is another wasted talent, who doesn’t have the inner drive to fulfill his potential.

For those who are interested in genuine football history, can I strongly recommend that you read the excellent article on Red Star on the BBC website. It is extremely refreshing to see a journalist redress the balance as regards French football (which does have a history). PSG were invented in 1970. Red Star existed long, long before them. As a matter of fact, in the 50s, it was Reims, if anyone, who were the star club in French football, with Raymond Kopa leading the line. Nantes are an old and venerable club. So are Racing Club Lens. So, it has to be said — although their supporters are very gobby in a Liverpudlian kind of way — are Olympique de Marseille.
I'm particularly sensitive to this kind of thing in that a whole raft of younger supporters, including sometimes younger blues themselves, seem to think that we were created in 2008, rather than being aware that we, like other clubs in and out of the Premier League, some of whom have fallen on very hard times, were created by the nineteenth century industrial revolution and the newly acquired rights of working men to have Saturday afternoons off in the latter part of that century.
When I started following French football, St Etienne was probably the best-known club. Dominique Rocheteau was their star player.

My favourite French team is Nantes, as they were the closest top-flight club to where I was staying (school exchange in Finistère) the first time I went across the Channel.

The one resonant name in French football from my formative years is St Etienne, whose winger Dominique Rocheteau had a perm that made Mario Kempes look like Ross Kemp. And they played, and still play, in green, which certainly cut down on the colour clashes.

I’ve checked my memory in this, and find to some surprise he transferred from St Etienne to Paris St German, of all teams, in 1980. Fact I didn’t remember suggests this was not an upwardly mobile career move at the time.

The one resonant name in French football from my formative years is St Etienne, whose winger Dominique Rocheteau had a perm that made Mario Kempes look like Ross Kemp. And they played, and still play, in green, which certainly cut down on the colour clashes.

I’ve checked my memory in this, and find to some surprise he transferred from St Etienne to Paris St German, of all teams, in 1980. Fact I didn’t remember suggests this was not an upwardly mobile career move at the time.
See my post above.

My favourite French team is Nantes, as they were the closest top-flight club to where I was staying (school exchange in Finistère) the first time I went across the Channel.

Nantes for many years were admired for having a very good academy, which produced good young players who went on to other clubs (and sometimes other countries). As « les canaris » they also play in yellow, which is very distinctive. Like Norwich. They were champions many times, although it's now a long way back.
Lyon too has had an excellent academy for a long time, now. Benzema is a pure product of it.

First went to « Le chaudron » in autumn 1978. Looked around, and I thought, yep, this looks familiar. Crush bars on the terraces. Foundries, steel works, smokestacks around it. And off in the distance a slag heap (at the time). Could have been any northern stadium, complete with terraced brick houses crowding up.
That said, Lyon are my “French” team. There is genuine hatred between the two, although some of the sting has gone out of it since Saint-Etienne fell on hard times. (Bit like the rags, non?). My son — a lifelong OL fan — says that he's in favour of nuclear testing. Simply, as he says, it should be held on the centre spot in the middle of the Saint-Etienne pitch.
Rocheteau I think left for money. Even at the time, Paris could pay higher wages. Nobody went to Paris except for the money at the time. Platini could go anywhere he liked in 1978. He chose Saint-Etienne.
Good story about Saint-Etienne. Was on the terraces for a match in which they absolutely tonked the opponents. 8-0 I think it was. One of the final goals, Platini gave an assist on a plate (the French call it « un caviar ») to a player called Larios. Good player, too – tough nut, didn't take any shit, and he could play a bit. Larios duly scored. They did not so much as look at each other. The Saint-Etienne team sort of split into two, with one bunch of players going to congratulate Platini for the pass, the others going to Larios for the goal.
I was utterly mystified. Somebody in the know told me that Larios was banging Platini's wife – it was common knowledge in the dressing room, and around the town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.