31 | Ederson - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because other GK makes a mistake, we cannot criticize Ederson then?

Again, I am really happy of having Ederson and he's a top 3 GK for City, but he can be so much more than that. Let's compare De Gea and Ederson for example(I strongly prefer Ederson for us). There were 2 saves yesterday to Gabriel Jesus and KDB from De Gea that were incredible. Quick reflexes, explosive and quick feet. De Gea makes 1 of those every 2-3 matches. At the same time De Gea makes a horrible blunder every 2-3 matches. For a team like us, we need security in our GK and Ederson might be the least prone to blunder GK in the world. He is great and a perfect match for us.

BUT you will never see Ederson making impossible/really difficult saves consistently like other GK are capable. Whenever the opposition scores, I have never felt Ederson made a huge mistake, but several times I think he could've done better and that several other GK would save 30-40% of those while Ederson saves 0% of those. Again, I am really happy of having a great sweeper, a very secure GK, and his excellent passing ability, but he can be so much better.

He can be Neuer, and it's so obvious what his weaknesses are, that I am just amazed he hasn't improved them at all. His weaknesses are: 1v1, slow reflexes, and he is very slow and non-explosive whenever he stretches. The 1v1 are inexcusable: the way he stretches, the way he attacks can be easily improved with constant practice. Just check how Neuer or even Cortouis take on 1v1, and then compare to Ederson.

Slow reflexes and explosiveness/power in his legs/stretches can also be improved with proper training, especially when you have a slow/heavy GK like Ederson. There is room for improvement there. And that's what annoys me. He can truly be better, and turn into, not only a top 3 GK for us, but the best GK for any team.
No you can absolutely criticise, I've literally just been making this point elsewhere. however, criticisms that involve false claims of him not being able to make saves or ever doing so, unfavourable percentage stats based entirely on hypothetical opinion not reality or hypothetical scenarios that name check other keepers as being considerably better can be expected to be called out when said keepers fuck up.

The De gea save from jesus, ederson makes those saves often, there's a few instances of him doing similar, there's even one example of him doing it in the exact same fixture a few years back, the one from kdb, Ederson rarely faces because we don't have a wardrobe in defence allowing that kind of effort.

I disagree with you saying his 1v1 is weak. First and foremost, the saves you will see most other keepers make 1v1, are saves that give slight but crucial advantages to the keeper to help them narrow angles and rush shots, Ederson doesn't face these and therefore can't get the stats to favour him because whilst other keepers are making those saves, Ederson has stopped the shot even coming in because he's sweeping up the ball through effectively saving it before the shot is taken.

Of the 1v1s he does face, he's only facing them because the ball through is perfect and he can't get there so the striker has already got the benefit of time to compose themselves and doesn't have to rush. Then you have to allow for the fact that Ederson never starts on his line due to tactics. where other keepers can come from on or near their line with everything infront of them and work the angles that way and be on the front foot, Ederson has to very quickly back peddle for all of his 1v1s making it substantially harder for him to get his angles right and almost entirely removes his ability to approach the attacker before he strikes to smoother or narrow because he's on the backfoot. These substantial handicaps aren't flaws in Edersons game, they're consequences of Peps system, he's at a considerable disadvantage because of it and doesn't get any allowance for it.

Stark difference today between Pickford who is somebody who is poor at crosses, barely comes for them and often flaps and ederson who came for absolutely everything and caught them all. Under appreciated skillset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.