Roger Daltrey: Rolling Stones a Mediocre Pub Band

Much as I like The Who, they managed 1 x UK no.1 album and zero UK no.1 singles. The Stones had 10 x UK no.1 albums and 8 x UK no.1 singles.
Chart success is no guarantee of quality, but if you're going to throw, ahem, stones, then you need to be throwing them from less fragile accommodation than Daltrey inhabits. Some great musicians in the Who, but give me the Stones any day of the week, either in the studio or live.

I cant see Daltry saying something like that and being serious, unless it was in the bands very early days. Didn't he say something or was alleged to say something similar about Led Zep in their early days.....something along the lines of Moon saying they went down like a Led Zepellin ( Lead balloon )
He’s not serious. Same as McCartney. There’s a professional rivalry obviously but this isn’t Eminem vs. the hip-hop universe.

Ironic coming from the lead singer of the typical pub band. Always disliked The Who and some of the the band members. In my opinion, the Stones were far better. It's embarrassing that The Who, Graham Nash and Joe Cocker were the only British representatives at Woodstock.

As for the 'standard blues' comments, that's a clear misrepresentation of the Stones. They only became blues-like in the 70s (songs like 'Brown Sugar'). Prior to that, they were very much pop/rock n roll who sang about non-mainstream issues (e.g. 'Mothers Little Helper', 'Paint it Black' etc..). Must admit, I much preferred the pre-70s tunes as I am not in to blues and rock opera tunes that last over 5 minutes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.