Roger Daltrey: Rolling Stones a Mediocre Pub Band

My taste in music can change in an hour.

one minute i can be banging baba o’reilly out full blast, the next wild horse to chill me out.

i have favourite bands onviously and some Genres that i dont like but picking my top 5 songs and saying who my favourite band is can change in an hour

I’m on your side here with the backing of the Beatles, nobody else got near them but the Kinks got a 4 year ban from the States for a row with a popular TV company, it’s producer started it by making anti-Anglo comments because they were late and Davies told him to shove the TV appearance up his arse.

After the ban they decided they’d make very English music and their sound significantly changed to one the American TV audience just wouldn’t like. Songs like the Village Green Appreciation Society were never going to be a hit in the US and it was done on purpose, to corner their own market over here. The English of course loved it but it stopped them being a global influence.

The Beatles were too big to cancel, even after Lennon’s remarks about Jesus, the demand to see them was too great. In the end (pun intended) the only people who could cancel the Beatles were the Beatles.
All fair points. I knew about them being banned here but I didn’t know they changed their style specifically as a result.

Ironic coming from the lead singer of the typical pub band. Always disliked The Who and some of the the band members. In my opinion, the Stones were far better. It's embarrassing that The Who, Graham Nash and Joe Cocker were the only British representatives at Woodstock.

As for the 'standard blues' comments, that's a clear misrepresentation of the Stones. They only became blues-like in the 70s (songs like 'Brown Sugar'). Prior to that, they were very much pop/rock n roll who sang about non-mainstream issues (e.g. 'Mothers Little Helper', 'Paint it Black' etc..). Must admit, I much preferred the pre-70s tunes as I am not in to blues and rock opera tunes that last over 5 minutes.
The Incredible String Band played on the Friday.
They were British.

Used to love the Stones but I find it sad what they have become for last 30 years. A nostalgia act playing largely the same set charging exorbitant prices. Too scared or lazy to try and make new music ( I suppose the same could apply to the Who, who I also like).

As for Kinks/Beatles. Music is a matter of taste. But whilst the Kinks has a great run of singles in the 60s their albums contain too many ordinary songs. Beatles are a far superior band in my opinion

Used to love the Stones but I find it sad what they have become for last 30 years. A nostalgia act playing largely the same set charging exorbitant prices. Too scared or lazy to try and make new music ( I suppose the same could apply to the Who, who I also like).

As for Kinks/Beatles. Music is a matter of taste. But whilst the Kinks has a great run of singles in the 60s their albums contain too many ordinary songs. Beatles are a far superior band in my opinion
I saw both bands on their last tours in the U.K. One of them was as good as ever, in fact bloody brilliant. The other was tired albeit Townsend is still a great guitarist. Both charged a small fortune.

Didnt the who realease some kind of software for making music on this Internet thing he speaks of

Those whose profession it is to listen to and gauge music quality, or whose job it is to study and trace the history of popular music, would disagree with you to a person. Every last one. Personal taste is one thing; historical context another. Semantics matter. You didn't say "The Beatles are rubbish", but if you had, and said it was your HO, I'd say it was also an uninformed HO.

There is such a thing as objective quality and innovation in popular music.

Pretty much this. I love the stones, but they are essentially a blues band. Their songs all conform to standards, which is why they’re easy to pick up and play. The Beatles is a completely different kettle of fish, their chord progressions let alone everything else still amazes me.

Enjoyment of music is subjective. A lot of the rest isn’t.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.