Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Really? My partner is a former NHS manager. Although not strictly civil servants their wages against responsibility are obscene. Holiday entitlement and pensions generous to say the least. Redundancy money when offered is eye watering. As her job was briefly part of the civil service I've got no reason to believe their pay and conditions are any different. My lads are both and Uni but I keep telling them the civil service is the place to get a job. Far outstrips the private sector and if you can't do your job they will hire management consultants to do it for you

Presumably you read that in the Mail or the Express because it bears no relation to the real world.

Public sector salaries are matched against the private sector. In junior and admin posts salaries may be moderately better with superior terms and conditions but at senior levels officials are paid a fraction of what they could earn in the private sector.

People around the World will flock to the UK to wallow in the nostalgia of how things were in their own countries years ago.
No one does nostalgia better than us. The whole country is like a museum piece and we are world-class at producing period dramas. We are obsessed with the past. It feels like the entire population has turned into scousers. It would be funny if it was not so serious.

Really? My partner is a former NHS manager. Although not strictly civil servants their wages against responsibility are obscene. Holiday entitlement and pensions generous to say the least. Redundancy money when offered is eye watering. As her job was briefly part of the civil service I've got no reason to believe their pay and conditions are any different. My lads are both and Uni but I keep telling them the civil service is the place to get a job. Far outstrips the private sector and if you can't do your job they will hire management consultants to do it for you
My wife's brother worked for the Open University in Milton Keynes as did his wife. They needed to reduce staffing levels and offered an outrageous redundancy package along with taking an early pension with guaranteed increases. So they both took up the offer back in the late 90’s when he was aged just 50 - neither of them has worked since.

Presumably you read that in the Mail or the Express because it bears no relation to the real world.

Public sector salaries are matched against the private sector. In junior and admin posts salaries may be moderately better with superior terms and conditions but at senior levels officials are paid a fraction of what they could earn in the private sector.
Shame the pensions aren’t matched up

Were that the case then these senior officials would have moved to the private sector, no?
Still I'm sure the defined benefit pensions, the relative job security and so on must count for something....

Don't read either paper but I know what you're getting at. My post is quoting a real life first hand experience. About 10 years ago there were over 40,000 staff in the NHS on over £100,000 a year. Dread what to think what the numbers are now

Were that the case then these senior officials would have moved to the private sector, no?
Still I'm sure the defined benefit pensions, the relative job security and so on must count for something....
They won't move to the private sector and have to earn their salary. They wouldn't get the same money, job security, annual leave and pension.

They do all the time. The Treasury struggles to keep it's officials out of the City where they can have their salaries quadrupled before bonuses etc.

Defined benefits and relative job security count for a healthy working environment and a chance of retaining decent staff. It's not the public sector's fault that the British public has continually voted for Governments that seek to eradicate their workplace rights.

Don't read either paper but I know what you're getting at. My post is quoting a real life first hand experience. About 10 years ago there were over 40,000 staff in the NHS on over £100,000 a year. Dread what to think what the numbers are now
Of course there are. Every consultant in Britain earns well over £100k and and that's relatively less than could be earned in other health systems.

I’m an SCS, have worked in the civil service for about 6 years, the 15 years prior to that I worked in the Big4 Accountancy practices, I was a Director when I left.

I took an approximate 70% pay cut to come into a senior civil service role. These days I’m around 40% on what I took home 6 years ago. My pension is average, these golden civil service pensions haven’t been a reality in 20+ years apart from in the mind of the obvious newspapers.

I moved for my own personal reasons around being able to occasionally see the kids and be part of their upbringing. I’m not badly paid, I’m not complaining about my wages as I do ok - but to pretend that senior civil service wages are in any way comparable with the private sector is ludicrous. Pay scales per grade are readily available and published annually, there’s no great conspiracy to hide them either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.