Rodney Marsh

That's spooky. In the first half yesterday we had a cross which was crying out for someone at the back post to nod it back into the middle. I said at the time "we could have done with Wyn Davies for that one".

He did a decent job for us although his best days were when (as you said) he was at Newcastle.
Blimey, conversation at the match Sunday pretty much the same. According to Wiki, born a couple of months before Ron Davies, his first name was also Ron but used his middle name Wyn.

Fantastic goal by Alan Ball,on the half volley.
And an assist for their 2nd goal.
I was at that game and seem to remember Ball also scored from a free kick but the ref ordered it to be retaken? Also remember Rodney over by the corner flag taking the ball past two defenders, then going back and doing it again just because he could. Even the Arsenal fans applauded and he made an Aw shucks, that was nothing gesture.

Hes not a legend in the Bell, Summerbee, Lee mold, but he is in terms of his DNA and name being part of our Club at a much, rightly romatacised time of our history. Not for winning things, but more for our glorious failures, cups for cock-ups and typical City history.
Kind of like "captain overrated", Robbo is for the Rags.

Hes not a legend in the Bell, Summerbee, Lee mold, but he is in terms of his DNA and name being part of our Club at a much, rightly romatacised time of our history. Not for winning things, but more for our glorious failures, cups for cock-ups and typical City history.
Kind of like "captain overrated", Robbo is for the Rags.
I take your point,but transposing your logic to say Southampton and Matt le tissier..I don't think there is any argument from any football fan in the world that the player was a legend for the saints,the fact that he didnt win anything is neither here nor there.

Taking a look back thru this thread,the amount of posters who idolized Marsh back in the day..I'd suggest he is legendary status and that winning games/ trophies is not necessarily the dominant criteria

My fav City player of all time is Paul Lake..the only thing he won was promotion in 2nd place from the old 2nd division....

I take your point,but transposing your logic to say Southampton and Matt le tissier..I don't think there is any argument from any football fan in the world that the player was a legend for the saints,the fact that he didnt win anything is neither here nor there.

Taking a look back thru this thread,the amount of posters who idolized Marsh back in the day..I'd suggest he is legendary status and that winning games/ trophies is not necessarily the dominant criteria

My fav City player of all time is Paul Lake..the only thing he won was promotion in 2nd place from the old 2nd division....
I'm not saying he isn't a legend - just as Peter Barnes, Tueart et al will always be - even Andy Morrison - just a different kind of legend bracket to what we have now and the successful Mercer side.

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone bring down the ball down by cushioning it on their chest like Wyn Davies used to do. He used to do it regularly and make the ball land at his feet so he could fire off a shot on goal. This now seems to be a little used skill, but WD perfected it to a tee.

Loved Rodney even changed the way I played football to copy him.Not appreciated in the Blackley leagues or at Langley away.Their loss. For me Rodney went hand in hand with standing in the North Stand.Things he did with the ball were unbelievable.

My favourite City player was Johnny Crossan he also just won a 2nd Division championship with us

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.