#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he was bad, he was just not good. If you ask me, Mahrez, Jesus, Bernardo, Gundogan were all better in the offensive production. So that means he was our 5th best offensive player.

Jesus has an assist and a goal in 35 min, Gundogan some really good passes, produced 1 big chance, great dribbling and going forward. Mahrez was by far our most dangerous player in the 1st half, and produced 2 big chances.

What remarkable thing did Sterling do? One goal and one good play is all I remember.
The fine line between overreacting to an improved performance as “brilliant”, and letting the last 2 years of disappointing performances negatively preload an individual opinion is perilous.

Being objective he still had multiple runs into the box, with little composure, that fizzled out, along with an horrendous shot. On the other hand he also had a great run in open space that held possession and obviously he scored a vital goal.

He was effective if not spectacular. I for one will take that goal and be happy with it. It’s the latest in a 3 game uptick that I hope continues.

No lack of effort from him but a game of such high quality like tonight really highlights his lack of technical ability. That being said, it's something we can overlook so long as he's producing the numbers, scored a crucial goal and that's all we can ask. Get him touching the ball much less, instead making more runs without it and getting into positions to score and his value to the squad will rise sharply.

One of his qualities over the years has been his knack of being in the right place at the right time and the goal showed that again. He was not perfect tonight, not even close and is still not firing but there is a glimmer of light so let’s hope that continues.

Kind of baffled coming into this thread & seeing so much positivity.

I thought he stuck out like a sore thumb, clearly a level of quality below most of our side tonight. Becomes glaringly obvious in a game like this with so much footballing ability on both sides.

Also felt like a lot of both our transitions and our slow build ups just kind of whimpered out when they arrived with Raz.

I love him, I really do. He was absolutely electric for 2/3 seasons and want nothing more than his return to form, but I’m not seeing it; not tonight, not at the weekend, not at all.

Moving on will be best for both imo. Let him rekindle his flame in Catalonia.

Well played Raheem that’s two games you’ve scored the crucial first goal
Time for a run in the side top top player written off by some too easily
Absolutely a City legend

I don't think he was bad, he was just not good. If you ask me, Mahrez, Jesus, Bernardo, Gundogan were all better in the offensive production. So that means he was our 5th best offensive player.

Jesus has an assist and a goal in 35 min, Gundogan some really good passes, produced 1 big chance, great dribbling and going forward. Mahrez was by far our most dangerous player in the 1st half, and produced 2 big chances.

What remarkable thing did Sterling do? One goal and one good play is all I remember.
You're right. I'm surprised people are saying he played really well. As you said, he certainly wasn't bad but compared to Mahrez for example, there was a pretty big drop off.

He's taking steps in the right direction though. His form isn't going to just come back over night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.