Blue Moon Top 100 Bands Artists - Full List of Artists (pg 287)

RobMCFC

Team supported
Manchester City
Blue Moon Top 100 Bands and Artists

PosArtistTotal#Votes
1The Beatles7124
2The Smiths7120
3The Rolling Stones6521
4Oasis5521
5Pink Floyd5015
6David Bowie4917
7The Stone Roses4819
8The Jam3612
9New Order3415
10Led Zeppelin3412
11Genesis339
12The Who3212
13Bruce Springsteen3011
14Neil Young2813
15Rush288
16The Kinks2611
17Joy Division2410
18James2310
19Echo and the Bunnymen2010
20=Bob Dylan197
20=Steely Dan197
22The Clash196
23The Fall196
24Morrissey195
25Simon and Garfunkel1810
26Marvin Gaye188
27Yes185
28Radiohead167
29The Arctic Monkeys167
30The Pixies167
31Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds165
32REM155
33AC/DC144
34Queen137
35The Doors135
36The Ramones125
37Elton John116
38Happy Mondays116
39Doves115
40Talking Heads115
41The Specials115
42Stevie Wonder114
43Depeche Mode113
44Fleetwood Mac106
45ABBA105
46Kate Bush104
47The Small Faces104
48Prince103
49The Verve102
50Nirvana96
51Red Hot Chili Peppers96
52Foo Fighters95
53The Cure95
54Embrace94
55Crosby Stills Nash (& Young)93
56Pulp93
57Frank Zappa92
58The Buzzcocks85
59Bob Marley84
60The Velvet Underground84
61Crowded House83
62The Stranglers83
63Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band82
64Deep Purple82
65The Moody Blues82
66Stereophonics75
67King Crimson74
68Lynyrd Skynyrd74
69Manic Street Preachers74
70Blue Oyster Cult73
71Gladys Knight and the Pips73
72Biffy Clyro72
73Husker Du72
74John Mellencamp72
75Soundgarden72
76The Chameleons72
77XTC72
78Blondie65
7910CC64
80Madness64
81Amy Winehouse63
82Arcade Fire63
83Half Man Half Biscuit63
84Johnny Cash63
85Kraftwerk63
86Pearl Jam63
87Prefab Sprout63
88Rage Against The Machine63
89The Charlatans63
90U263
91Cheap Trick62
92Suede62
93Talk Talk62
94The Beach Boys62
95The Black Keys62
96The Slow Readers Club62
97Van Halen62
98Van Morrison62
99Dusty Springfield54
100Sleaford Mods54

I know there are a few people who don’t like to read a load of waffle, so here’s the important bits:-

I’m running a Top 100 bands/artists poll. If you’d like to contribute:-

1. Send me your favourite 15 artists (numbered 1-15, 1 for best) in a personal message.
2. Deadline for entry is Friday 10th December.
3. Do not post your list on here because that may spoil the results.
4. Sit back and wait for the countdown.

The Details

Ah, if you’ve made it this far, you probably like reading a load of waffle. You’re in the right place.

Around this time last year, we were all voting on our favourite albums, singles, books, films and TV series. I’ve checked with @BlueHammer85, and it appears that we didn’t ever get around to voting on our favourite bands and artists.

Therefore, in the interests of some serious music discussion and good banter, I’m launching this thread and, as a collective, we can answer thorny questions such as:-
  • Will the British big 4 dominate the top 10?
  • Will the list be dominated by the UK-US axis or will other territories get a look in?
  • Is prog rock any good and if so, how will the big prog rock bands fare against each other?
  • How many Manchester bands will appear?
  • Will those two heavyweight genres country AND western trouble the scorers?
I’m inviting you all to have a good think. Don’t just pick the obvious choices – I want to know what your favourites are. Will you base your list purely on your favourite albums or will the concerts you have been to and the DVDs and videos you’ve bought be a factor? What about those bands that are special to you for sentimental reasons or because you played their music a lot at some special point in your life? Or maybe they even helped you through some dark times.

Hopefully you get my point. Throw all these factors into the melting pot and see if you can come up with your definitive top 15. Number them 1-15 and send them to me in a personal message.

I’m setting a closing date of Friday 10th December. Hopefully this will give you enough time to think it through and get your votes in. It will also give me enough time to count the votes (all three of them?) and then begin the countdown the week before Christmas.

The Scoring System

I’m going to use the same results system as BlueHammer because I think the countdown in batches of 5 for those in positions 100 to 21, followed by the top 20 at one-a-day worked brilliantly.

I am going to tweak the scoring system slightly because I feel the difference of 19 points between 1st and 20th may be a bit large. Also, I think that the further you get down your list of favourites, the less obvious the differences are, so I want to use the following system (that I’ve just made up):

Artist #1 = 5 points

Artists #2 and #3 = 4 points each

Artists #4 - #6 = 3 points each

Artists #7 - #10 = 2 points each

Artists #11 - #15 = 1 point each

So really, you don’t need to sweat over the exact positions of some of your artists, just so long as they are at the right level of the pyramid:-

4 4

3 3 3

2 2 2 2

1 1 1 1 1

Hey, if UEFA can complicate their draw and seeding system, then I can complicate how we allocate points to a list!

Hopefully, this will give enough demarcation between those at the top of your list and those further down, and those 1 -and 2-point artists might become significant in the scramble for the top.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Blue Moon Top 100 Bands and Artists

I know there are a few people who don’t like to read a load of waffle, so here’s the important bits:-

I’m running a Top 100 bands/artists poll. If you’d like to contribute:-

1. Send me your favourite 15 artists (numbered 1-15, 1 for best) in a personal message.
2. Deadline for entry is Friday 10th December.
3. Do not post your list on here because that may spoil the results.
4. Sit back and wait for the countdown.

The Details

Ah, if you’ve made it this far, you probably like reading a load of waffle. You’re in the right place.

Around this time last year, we were all voting on our favourite albums, singles, books, films and TV series. I’ve checked with @BlueHammer85, and it appears that we didn’t ever get around to voting on our favourite bands and artists.

Therefore, in the interests of some serious music discussion and good banter, I’m launching this thread and, as a collective, we can answer thorny questions such as:-
  • Will the British big 4 dominate the top 10?
  • Will the list be dominated by the UK-US axis or will other territories get a look in?
  • Is prog rock any good and if so, how will the big prog rock bands fare against each other?
  • How many Manchester bands will appear?
  • Will those two heavyweight genres country AND western trouble the scorers?
I’m inviting you all to have a good think. Don’t just pick the obvious choices – I want to know what your favourites are. Will you base your list purely on your favourite albums or will the concerts you have been to and the DVDs and videos you’ve bought be a factor? What about those bands that are special to you for sentimental reasons or because you played their music a lot at some special point in your life? Or maybe they even helped you through some dark times.

Hopefully you get my point. Throw all these factors into the melting pot and see if you can come up with your definitive top 15. Number them 1-15 and send them to me in a personal message.

I’m setting a closing date of Friday 10th December. Hopefully this will give you enough time to think it through and get your votes in. It will also give me enough time to count the votes (all three of them?) and then begin the countdown the week before Christmas.

The Scoring System

I’m going to use the same results system as BlueHammer because I think the countdown in batches of 5 for those in positions 100 to 21, followed by the top 20 at one-a-day worked brilliantly.

I am going to tweak the scoring system slightly because I feel the difference of 19 points between 1st and 20th may be a bit large. Also, I think that the further you get down your list of favourites, the less obvious the differences are, so I want to use the following system (that I’ve just made up):

Artist #1 = 5 points

Artists #2 and #3 = 4 points each

Artists #4 - #6 = 3 points each

Artists #7 - #10 = 2 points each

Artists #11 - #15 = 1 point each

So really, you don’t need to sweat over the exact positions of some of your artists, just so long as they are at the right level of the pyramid:-

4 4

3 3 3

2 2 2 2

1 1 1 1 1

Hey, if UEFA can complicate their draw and seeding system, then I can complicate how we allocate points to a list!

Hopefully, this will give enough demarcation between those at the top of your list and those further down, and those 1 -and 2-point artists might become significant in the scramble for the top.

Thanks for reading.
Great idea. I’ll be contributing at some point.

Oh thanks, Rob, more work to do ;-)

I only know my top four...

Also, some bands I might pick will only get a vote from me so do I factor that in!
Yes that's a fair point. The thing is, you never know who else knows about a band or who might be lurking.
I'm going to stick to my top 15 regardless of whether I think others will vote for them. Hopefully if enough people do this, we may get some nice (and nasty?) surprises

Feel like a proud father letting you run with this poll.

I'm going for Led Zep v Pink Floyd as the finalists with The Beatles/Stones/Who battling 3rd place

a lot of Prog rockers in the house - so reckon that genre will heavily feature

Oasis/Stone Roses will be up there somewhere for the Manc factor

will be an interesting one.

C+W will certainly feature if Johnny Cash has anything to do with the scoring...

I'm going for Led Zep v Pink Floyd as the finalists with The Beatles/Stones/Who battling 3rd place

a fair few Kinks fans in this forum...may break up your perceived top 5?

Ha ha. We're a funny family if you're my dad - you being in your 30s (?) and me being in my 50s!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.