Champions League - 2021/22

As we get down to the last sixteen teams it is now a fact that those teams will all come from the top 8 countries rated by their UEFA co-efficients. If Red Bull slip up in their final game it will be the top 7 countries.

It makes a mockery of all the qualifying matches which are just a UEFA money making racket.

The only two qualifiers still in with a chance of the last 16 are Benfica who are relying on Barcelona to lose to Bayern, and Red Bull who need a draw at least in their last match.

The Premier League is a far more competitive competition.

And then there is the CL host sponsor Gazprom! St. Petersburg ocg based? Money laundering from corrupt trading in oil and gas? KGB/FSB controlled? There couldn't be a better fit as the prime UEFA CL sponsor.

As we get down to the last sixteen teams it is now a fact that those teams will all come from the top 8 countries rated by their UEFA co-efficients. If Red Bull slip up in their final game it will be the top 7 countries.

It makes a mockery of all the qualifying matches which are just a UEFA money making racket.

The only two qualifiers still in with a chance of the last 16 are Benfica who are relying on Barcelona to lose to Bayern, and Red Bull who need a draw at least in their last match.

The proposal from Uefa is more group matches, so more of the same one sided affairs and dead rubber games in December. They don’t realise what makes the champions league enjoyable is the intensity and jeopardy of the knock outs but Uefa and the big clubs want their guaranteed income from this cash cow.

Surely that is why they are ranked as the top countries though? Because they have the best teams?

I'd say Benfica are favourites to qualify ahead of Barcelona at this stage too.

Personally speaking - and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think this has been one of the more interesting group stages in recent memory. There has been some good games each night and the occasional surprise result.

We can lambast the futility of the group stage, but if we had played these two games against PSG as a knock out tie, we'd be out now despite battering them in both games. If we're critical that the group stage protects "big" sides, we should do it remembering we are a "big" side now.

Surely that is why they are ranked as the top countries though? Because they have the best teams?

I'd say Benfica are favourites to qualify ahead of Barcelona at this stage too.

Personally speaking - and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think this has been one of the more interesting group stages in recent memory. There has been some good games each night and the occasional surprise result.

We can lambast the futility of the group stage, but if we had played these two games against PSG as a knock out tie, we'd be out now despite battering them in both games. If we're critical that the group stage protects "big" sides, we should do it remembering we are a "big" side now.
I want a straight knock-out European Champions Cup, with only preliminaries to get the number to 32 teams.

Only league champions as well. It will never happen as not enough matches for broadcasting to the armchair fans, and certainly not enough money going to the grubby hands of UEFA.

I will continue to follow it as a competition but no intention of spending my money on going to games.

Just looking at potential second place opponents for the round of 16:

Gp B: Porto/AC Milan/Atletico
Gp C: Sporting
Gp D: Inter
Gp E: Barca/Benfica
Gp F: Villareal/Atalanta (barring a massive result from Young Boys)
Gp G: LOSC/Saltzburg/Sevilla/Wolfsburg
Gp H: Juve (if Chelsea stay top)

Some tasty ties in there and also surprising how many groups are still wide open given we only have one round of fixtures to go.

Any preferences?

Just looking at potential second place opponents for the round of 16:

Gp B: Porto/AC Milan/Atletico
Gp C: Sporting
Gp D: Inter
Gp E: Barca/Benfica
Gp F: Villareal/Atalanta (barring a massive result from Young Boys)
Gp G: LOSC/Saltzburg/Sevilla/Wolfsburg
Gp H: Juve (if Chelsea stay top)

Some tasty ties in there and also surprising how many groups are still wide open given we only have one round of fixtures to go.

Any preferences?
Somewhere warm.

If Benfica beat Kyiv at home then Barca would go out baring a miraculous win away to Bayern.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.