Daft things Dad said about City when you was a kid

Not on topic as such..

but i was born in ‘74. I always say that my age group kopped for the worse of it. Missed the mercer glory years and too young to remember the relatively succesful years of the 70s. I just about remember the 81 cup final.
City first made me cry when they wemt down in 84.

anyway, during the untold fuckin misery of the years that followed i used to moan at my dad. Although i adored every second of being a blue i was also pretty miserable with it at times and semi blamed my dad as he’d ‘made me support city’

things came to a head after that fa cup 1/4 final against blackburn. Cant remember the year but you know the one. I really thought we’d beat them, get a wembley trip for the semis
He rang me when i was on my way home. I was furious and unleashed on him. My parting words were
“Why the fuck did you make me a blue” and cut the call.

fast forward these years later and everytime we win something he reminds me if what i said and takes some some sort of credit for our success. As though all the years of misery were part of some master plan for the success that was to follow

my dad can be a pain in the arse but im forever grateful he ‘made me a blue’ !

I’ve never forgotten back maybe in the early 80s, maybe after the Luton defeat, and my dad said “Football goes in cycles. Sometimes city are on top and sometimes United. It will turn around again, don’t worry.” He was right but I didn’t expect it would take 30 years.

I grew up down south at a time when seemingly everyone was a Utd fan there. On the morning after we lost 5-0 to them in 1994, my Dad said to me:

"Go to school, it will be fine"

I ended up in detention for kicking someone's lunch box over a fence after he'd taunted me.

I grew up down south at a time when seemingly everyone was a Utd fan there. On the morning after we lost 5-0 to them in 1994, my Dad said to me:

"Go to school, it will be fine"

I ended up in detention for kicking someone's lunch box over a fence after he'd taunted me.
You are Jimmy Grimble and I claim my £10 reward!!

Last edited:
My dad was a blue and he played for Manchester boys in the late 30's and he used to always say to me and my brothers,"...I'd have played for City, bar for't war...."
He regaled us with tales about old players, and Trautmann and Frank Swift in particular - saying how Centre Forwards would tremble in fear when Swiftey came out to the end of the box to meet them, and he used to say that Swift's hands were as big as frying pans.
Happy days. He died in 1989 - lucky old sod - he didn't have to see the following thirty years of shite that me and my brothers put up with, thanks to him!
What a bastard, hey!!
Not :-)
I had a couple of school pals who used to play for Middleton boys.
They played in a game vs Manchester boys (@ 1970) and got spanked about 10-0.
It was a chastening experience for both of them.

My Dad always told me you can't hate a football team, which I hope I proved him wrong as I still continue to hate the rag cunts as much now as I did when I was a kid.

He didn't follow a team, so he was a wrong un from the off.

Not my dad but my nan (born in 1900 & a big blue) pulling my leg when I was a young lad she used to ask me back in the late 70s early 80s "what would you do if city got relegated & were rubbish" I used to say id still go no matter how bad we were (& i did),
So she then used to ask "what would you do if city got bought by a very rich man & became the best team in the world" it was then I started to worry about her mental health,
little did she or I know then what was going to happen over the next 40 years!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.