Champions League - 2021/22

Most of the season ticket regulars were around me last night but there are always 10-20% of the crowd for the CL who are foreign and usually young. You can tell a mile off. I honestly don’t know where they come from but the vast majority of them last night were there to support City and I’m more than happy with that. We need the club to grow worldwide

100% agree on this.

might see if can move tickets for the next round to south stand

Most of the season ticket regulars were around me last night but there are always 10-20% of the crowd for the CL who are foreign and usually young. You can tell a mile off. I honestly don’t know where they come from but the vast majority of them last night were there to support City and I’m more than happy with that. We need the club to grow worldwide
There's about 20,000 international students across Greater Manchester, and if they're paying that much to study here they can definitely afford the price of a ticket!

Is it that many? That would definitely fit the bill.
Those are pre-pandemic and pre-Brexit numbers, so they'll be down a bit, but it does give you a sense of the scale! That's before you even add in international students at Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Huddersfield etc which are all very easily commutable. I can't say for sure, but given they rarely seem over 30 that's always been my assumption.

The proposal from Uefa is more group matches, so more of the same one sided affairs and dead rubber games in December. They don’t realise what makes the champions league enjoyable is the intensity and jeopardy of the knock outs but Uefa and the big clubs want their guaranteed income from this cash cow.
I think it's an interesting format - https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...1000--new-champions-league-format-explained/- but whether it produces more jeopardy in December only time will tell. It may be that the top 6 are safe by the last round of matches, but there will be a couple of seeded teams struggling to make it into the top 8 and a surprise package who have pushed their way in. Teams positioned 7-10th will be trying to finish in the top 8 and those 9-24th will be trying to ensure a seeding for the play off rounds and that should create some good matches.

It also means that groups like Liverpool's or United's will not happen because Liverpool will have some more competition than the three mediocre teams they have faced this year and the eight poor teams in groups F and G will all be mid table scrambling for position.

This season results would mean that at the moment there is a top 19 of:-
Liverpool 15
Ajax 15
Bayern 15
City 12
Real Madrid 12
Chelsea 12
Juventus 12
Inter 10
United 10
PSG 8
Lille 8
Sporting 9
Barcelona 7
Villareal 7
Salzburg 7
Dortmund 6
Tiraspol 6
Atalanta 6
Sevilla 6

I appreciate that there would still be five games to go rather than 1 in the new format - but I think that leaves everyone still fighting for a top 8 place.

The part of the plan I'm not sure about is playing 10 games instead of 6. Does that mean we start in August? or we cant play in the League cup? Although it will mean that we see at least two matches at home against teams that should be competitive.

Once we move to the New Year. The knockout stages will begin with some teams who expect to qualify for the last 16 having to face a play off - the seeding will mean they should comes through, but you never know. But it might just mix up the last 16 a bit more. I suspect that whatever format they use the last 8 will be the usual suspects.

Those are pre-pandemic and pre-Brexit numbers, so they'll be down a bit, but it does give you a sense of the scale! That's before you even add in international students at Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Huddersfield etc which are all very easily commutable. I can't say for sure, but given they rarely seem over 30 that's always been my assumption.
I think you’re probably right. They are indeed always young. I wonder how they are getting tickets? This game sold out to season ticket holders and Matchday members only. And also, why do they not come in numbers to the premier league games?

I know some don’t like it but we have to grow our support worldwide and I support the club getting these people hooked.

Universities and Collages in the Greater Manchester area receive an allocation of tickets at subsidised rates for most CL matches. I don't think it just applies to City either.
We should be offering the seat exchange/single seat returns which we get for the premier league games on the same basis.

I heard an audible cheer at that point but then when PSG scored hardly anyone celebrated. These people must just be Messi fans or neutrals. There was one lad in the bar of CB3 wearing a load of MEssi merchandise. Imagine being a fan of a player not a club. Is that how modern football is going now?
I know, it's weird as fuck

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.