Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So South Africa tells us there’s a new variant.
We panic, reacting swiftly with new measures, Boris thanks South Africa.

South Africa tells us we’re over reacting and in fact it’s highly likely it’s a mild illness and vaccine works tremendously well against it.
We say nowt.

Do we play safe? Nobody knows yet but what we do know is that if we fail to act we could end up like last year-being to late. That cost lots of lives. I haven't stopped wearing a mask or doing the other things (hands, face, space anyone) until I know any better I will carry on. Fortunately we are retired and our daughter who we see regularly has been double jabbed and has to have a rapid flow test 3 times a week for her job.

Do we play safe? Nobody knows yet but what we do know is that if we fail to act we could end up like last year-being to late. That cost lots of lives. I haven't stopped wearing a mask or doing the other things (hands, face, space anyone) until I know any better I will carry on. Fortunately we are retired and our daughter who we see regularly has been double jabbed and has to have a rapid flow test 3 times a week for her job.
As you say, it’s too early to say. I’ve taken to watching/reading the South African media to get a flavour of what it’s like there, and you get two quite different takes. On the one hand, the head of the South African Medical Association reports that yes the virus is spreading quickly but that the symptoms are generally milder, so that gives us something positive. On the other hand, the head of the ICU in Soweto reports that more younger people (20-35) are presenting at her hospital, all unvaccinated, and that they are requiring interventions, so that gives us something negative.

There still isn’t enough data yet to determine which is correct, so I suppose many will just cling to the perspective that fits their mood.

So South Africa tells us there’s a new variant.
We panic, reacting swiftly with new measures, Boris thanks South Africa.

South Africa tells us we’re over reacting and in fact it’s highly likely it’s a mild illness and vaccine works tremendously well against it.
We say nowt.
South Africa have said Countries red listing them are overreacting because they / we won’t know if it’s a mild or serious illness (with the new variant) for another couple of weeks. So far it’s mainly younger people contracting it who don’t tend to get very ill with the virus;

A noble effort but anyone who has done WFH knows it’s a piss take and never can be as effective as being on site. Not saying some individual’s don’t make it work but the majority take advantage, working through commute hours just doesn’t exist.

The worst culprits at the moment are the Civil Servants and the likes of GP Centre’s. HMRC have issued me with a fine even though I told them my accounts would be late because my (not in the proprietal way) Accountant died suddenly, they just won’t discuss the situation, blaming it on COVID and say “write to us”.

Well, as I say it works better for my role and the same for others on my desk. We work in shipping, it’s 24/7 - we’re always on call and a lot of our work/emails come in during commute hours - London based so many of us have 2/3 hours commute. That’s time we could already be at home working.
Lockdown proved better for mine and others for the benefit of the company.
Unfortunately we have a few directors at our office who refuse to accept the above and want everyone back in 9-5 , 5 days a week.

What a load of bollocks.

So I can go in Asda later, forced to wear a mask, then walk through the concourse full of people, without a mask, then go for a few pints in the local, again without a mask?

As you say, it’s too early to say. I’ve taken to watching/reading the South African media to get a flavour of what it’s like there, and you get two quite different takes. On the one hand, the head of the South African Medical Association reports that yes the virus is spreading quickly but that the symptoms are generally milder, so that gives us something positive. On the other hand, the head of the ICU in Soweto reports that more younger people (20-35) are presenting at her hospital, all unvaccinated, and that they are requiring interventions, so that gives us something negative.

There still isn’t enough data yet to determine which is correct, so I suppose many will just cling to the perspective that fits their mood.
They could both be correct.

It could be transmissible to all but only serious for the unvaccinated.

If that’s confirmed then no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.