All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

In my head, something to easily strum along to (in a guitaring(SP?) sense)...........
Yes, but also one where you don't have to lug a load of equipment there. You can't plug your Marshall or Hammond in in the middle of the desert or Outback.

Ahh so like Yes or King Crimson :)
No - see my point above!

Songs you could play acoustically around a fire without need for much if any traditional rock percussion or bass.
This is more like it. I guess you could use tom-toms though.

Lovely write up, sir. And although this might be my second least favourite Zep album, Presence certainly isn't my least fave and the idea of replacing "No Quarter", get out of here.

I'm back with you on the Blues thing, to a point. IIRC, you were not big on In My Time of Dying, whilst that probably makes my LZ top 10. I find "Since..." to be a great example of a type of song that is not one of my favoured styles and it has enough about it to keep the scores high on the doors.

I must revisit the wonderful "Almost Famous", which I saw at the cinema on release and may even have on DVD: I don't remember "Tangerine" but I considered it a special song long before the movie. “That’s The Way” has snuck up on me over the years; as has much of the acoustic stuff. When I first bought the album, I was much more interested in the heavy stuff but I've softened with age, in more ways than one, and although it is still rockier stuff that I love most (from any band), my fondness for this album has grown considerably with time.
The one thing that drives me nuts about LZ is that on every record they did there’s at least one song I really don’t care for. So I don’t have any of their records in my list of favo(u)rites because I demand consistency — no songs I’d skip. That’s why it’s so odd to me (just me I realize) that they are an AOR band because I consider them like the Beatles a “singles” band. The Beatles are largely the same for me — each record has something I dislike. And that’s probably why I end up rating The Who so highly as on 3 or 4 of their records I like or love every song. I am a total dinosaur as I treat albums as novels — complete packages — and in a world of Spotify that packaging and distribution mechanism (or “art form”) is dying if not already dead :(.

Last edited:
The one thing that drives me nuts about LZ is that one every record they did there’s at least one song I really don’t care for. So I don’t have any of their records in my list of favo(u)rites because I demand consistency — no songs I’d skip. That’s why it’s so odd to me (just me I realize) that they are an AOR band because I consider them like the Beatles a “singles” band. The Beatles are largely the same for me — each record has something I dislike. And that’s probably why I end up rating The Who so highly as on 3 or 4 of their records I like or love every song. I am a total dinosaur as I treat albums as novels — complete packages — and in a world of Spotify that packaging and distribution mechanism (or “art form”) is dying if not already dead :(.

I don't have that problem with Zep. I can actually recall having a conversation when I was in Sixth Form (final year) at school about bands you like producing songs that you don't. I commented that there wasn't a Zep track that I didn't like; that was before they released "Hot Dog". How much I like the tracks can vary of course but there's none that I dislike, which is one of the big reasons they are (just) my favourite band. Van Halen's original albums with Diamond Dave also fall inot that category. I'm sure I commented when we had a favouirte album poll that if I had done it properly, over half the 20 would have been VH & LZ albums.

I am though quite forgiving of bands that I like, even so, very few have produced albums where I wouldn't skip the odd the track; although I tend not to if listening to a whole album, which I still do, a lot. I do love a good playlist though and my lunchtime constitutional includes hitting the shuffle button on my iPhone. Spotify is not my thing; buying too many cds is.

III. is my favourite Led Zeppelin album and the one I still play most. For some reason Tangerine is one of my favourite Zep songs but his album is crammed with quality. Immigrant song is just class. Love the production and use of acoustic instruments. Love the album cover. Spent many happy hours rotating the disc. Takes me back to my 14 year old self listening on an old gramaphone player in my bedroom. Was very popular at parties too.

9/10

III. is my favourite Led Zeppelin album and the one I still play most. For some reason Tangerine is one of my favourite Zep songs but his album is crammed with quality. Immigrant song is just class. Love the production and use of acoustic instruments. Love the album cover. Spent many happy hours rotating the disc. Takes me back to my 14 year old self listening on an old gramaphone player in my bedroom. Was very popular at parties too.

9/10
Lovely review........ :-)

I don't have that problem with Zep. I can actually recall having a conversation when I was in Sixth Form (final year) at school about bands you like producing songs that you don't. I commented that there wasn't a Zep track that I didn't like; that was before they released "Hot Dog". How much I like the tracks can vary of course but there's none that I dislike, which is one of the big reasons they are (just) my favourite band. Van Halen's original albums with Diamond Dave also fall inot that category. I'm sure I commented when we had a favouirte album poll that if I had done it properly, over half the 20 would have been VH & LZ albums.

I am though quite forgiving of bands that I like, even so, very few have produced albums where I wouldn't skip the odd the track; although I tend not to if listening to a whole album, which I still do, a lot. I do love a good playlist though and my lunchtime constitutional includes hitting the shuffle button on my iPhone. Spotify is not my thing; buying too many cds is.

I probably own very few albums where there isn’t a few duffers or at least songs I’m very apathetic to. Hell even a few greatest hits have some on.

I’m a bit harsh on my Spotify liked songs each one has to be really liked because I can’t be arsed skipping songs or waiting for the great ones to pop up when I shuffle play.

When I did my list for the best Artists thread i did it by checking out my Spotify list so I didn’t forget anyone and was surprised by how many songs I had for each artist.

It was a case of do I pick the artist where I had 12 songs for or the artist with only 8 but 4 were absolute stonkers.

Reactions: OB1
The one thing that drives me nuts about LZ is that on every record they did there’s at least one song I really don’t care for. So I don’t have any of their records in my list of favo(u)rites because I demand consistency — no songs I’d skip. That’s why it’s so odd to me (just me I realize) that they are an AOR band because I consider them like the Beatles a “singles” band. The Beatles are largely the same for me — each record has something I dislike. And that’s probably why I end up rating The Who so highly as on 3 or 4 of their records I like or love every song. I am a total dinosaur as I treat albums as novels — complete packages — and in a world of Spotify that packaging and distribution mechanism (or “art form”) is dying if not already dead :(.
Im a bit puzzled here Fog, how can The Beatles be labelled a "singles band" when they are constantly in the list of the greatest top 10 albums ever made, Im talking Pepper, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Rd.
Surely they are the opposite of a singles band.

Im a bit puzzled here Fog, how can The Beatles be labelled a "singles band" when they are constantly in the list of the greatest top 10 albums ever made, Im talking Pepper, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Rd.
Surely they are the opposite of a singles band.
It’s how I think about them because 1) I like their individual songs better than the records they’re on and 2) for a good portion of their early life they were like most other bands a singles band. With their genius was some outright dross that was included on their records — Pepper has some and The White Album has plenty.

Also sometimes people are wrong, though not about Rubber Soul and Revolver probably. But I mean they’re the most influential rock band in history — so no matter what I think of their records song for song you kind of have to include them near the top for sheer importance. But as collective unified thematic works of art I don’t find their albums as compelling as those of many other bands. If I were to pick only one it would probably be Abbey Road, because I like the songs the best, not because there was a thematic element to it or because they had something important to say.

There seems to be a lot of Zeppelin fans on here so I’ll go carefully. They’re a band I don’t listen to a lot so was surprised when I browsed my stored albums that I had downloaded more or less all of theirs at some point, except this one.

I think my thinking is that they are a band I should like and listen to more than I do given their reputation and heritage. Their first album I like a lot, so much so I also have the vinyl version. I also like the live album Song Remains the Same, despite it being overblown in places and I also saw them at Knebworth in 79 (I think) although that was less as a “fan” and more because the opportunity was there to do some bonding with my errant father. Still, they were better than Chas and Dave.

Enough preamble. This album opens well, no denying that Immigrant Song is an in your face classic. After that it’s a bit so so for me, Celebration Day and Since I’ve been loving you are good, a couple of songs I don’t like at all, Gallows Pole and that stomp thing.

This album isn’t going to turn me into a Zeppelin afficionado, I’ll stick to the first album thanks but it’s OK and if I’m ever in the mood for a Zeppelin playlist, you never know, there are a few tracks that will make the cut.

It’s a 6 out of 10 for me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.