Gary Speed

Ten years on and i still can't get my head around this, world at his feet , national team manager , great pundit apparent happy family life , and loved by many , a sad loss to the game and his family. Always was old skool in my opinion on suicide , it was a cowards way out in my book , but Gary Speed's suicide changed my views , some people must have some serious mental issues to consider taking their own life , and hopefully the awareness has now raised and some lives are being saved

Like you I have always been torn over suicides - in some ways it can be seen as a cowards way out - not being prepared to face up to the issues facing you etc - however at the same time I doubt I would have the courage to self harm never mind kill myself so is it the hardest thing to do and the most honourable? Its a circle I doubt I will ever be able to square

Ten years on and i still can't get my head around this, world at his feet , national team manager , great pundit apparent happy family life , and loved by many , a sad loss to the game and his family. Always was old skool in my opinion on suicide , it was a cowards way out in my book , but Gary Speed's suicide changed my views , some people must have some serious mental issues to consider taking their own life , and hopefully the awareness has now raised and some lives are being saved
Cowardly??? I'll never understand that view, NOT EVER.

we've all been down,even a bit depressed, i had a spell of depression, i went to the doctors and i just burst out crying, id never met the lady doctor before, but when she asked me what was the problem i just broke down, i actually felt a little better walking out the doctors, but imagine being in that place where there is no way out in your mind, maybe he didnt want to appear "weak" being in the macho world of football, such a shame for anyone taking their own life.

No its desperate
And that is a fact , didnt want to get to deep into the subject , but here goes , a very good friend drank himself to death for me a form of suicide , a lot of his mates tried everything and failed , he had been through personal tragedies one after another and i can understand the drink issue. But i was so f*cking angry with him when he died and angry with myself for not having enough influence to save him
So angry i vowed not to got to his funeral but relented at the last minute and glad i did , i have happy memories now and try to blank out the last couple of years of his life , but to see his friends an family in so much pain at the funeral its hard to make sense of taking your own life.
Its a subject that will touch so many people and maybe not the place to air views on a football forum , but i have changed my views because when an apparently succesful guy like Gary Speed can take his own life , its not cowardice its as ganganvince stated , its desperation and very very sad,

Cowardly??? I'll never understand that view, NOT EVER.
Agree 100%
I can’t imagine and can only hope I never will.
but being in such a dark lonely place that you feel this is your only way out and people would be better off without you must be hell
I would not even attempt to pass judgement
I just hope anyone in this position can somehow find the strength to speak to someone About it

He was probably a depressive for most of his adult life but was kept going by the buzz of football. He had never any periods out of the game since he turned professional, because he went straight into coaching and managing at Sheffield United.

To go from football most days to part-time international manager would have been a big change, a shock maybe he couldn't adjust to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.