All Time Top 1100 Albums (Aerosmith - Big Ones) P265

Cheers Blues! It was the return of Aretha the Queen of Soul with positive reviews and a strong score, no doubting her voice but many enjoyed the overall sound and production for this one.

Aretha Franklin / Soul Lady
10 votes
Average Score = 6.7

It is at this point and a tough decision that I am going to put this thread on hold for a little while - we're coming up to a busy Xmas period, Robs posters reviews are going really well and there's many like me struggling to fit in 2 albums a week to give a fair listen, we only just scraped the minimum 10 votes here this week.

Thanks to the regular contributors on here, I look forward to hearing others posters nominations and do not fear, this thread will return in due course!

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas, up the Hammers!
Happy holidays BH! I totally get it. Love this and Rob’s thread and I look forward to every Friday and Tuesday, as I am looking forward to its triumphant return!

Same to you BlueHammer85 fantastic effort from you this year and next year I think this thread will grow legs like nothing before.

Plenty of exciting , inspiring , controversial and dare I say rubbish to come although IMO its been a high quality to date.

Shouldn't single anyone out but a special call out to Fog who happened to pick one of my favourite songwriters of all time Paul Westerberg a true pioneer of alternative rock.
Nice of you mate, cheers.

I am hopeful the randomizer here will soon begin to skew to more British artists I don't know so well -- looking back on the list so far, the one that was most especially interesting was Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden as I know their hits but hadn't known much about their history nor anything beyond their hits. It was nice to revisit some old classics too as well as hear new things (to me) like Sigur Ros even though I didn't care for it.

I am hopeful the randomizer here will soon begin to skew to more British artists I don't know so well -- looking back on the list so far, the one that was most especially interesting was Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden as I know their hits but hadn't known much about their history nor anything beyond their hits. It was nice to revisit some old classics too as well as hear new things (to me) like Sigur Ros even though I didn't care for it.
Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring.
Brilliant album. Played it all the time mid 80’s.

I agree especially about the new stuff and this is mainly why a thread like this is worth its weight in gold for music lovers and for me its largely the music outside the hits or familiar with that I am more drawn to or at least want to explore more of.

I don't like being in my own comfort zone when it comes to music even at my age as exploring things new keeps you on your toes and while the Tubes for example I know of and have heard some of the music I am fairly certain I wasn't familiar with Haloes at all and upon listening found it to be a song with a great hook and a great vibe all round and I will be listening to it over again to get a better appreciation of the Tubes a band I now know I have to get to know better.

As you say its sometimes more than relevant and interesting to hear music you don't necessarily find interesting even dislike but for me getting the chance to listen to Haloes for example that I would never otherwise unless I stumbled across it by pure chance is a wonderful thing.

I agree especially about the new stuff and this is mainly why a thread like this is worth its weight in gold for music lovers and for me its largely the music outside the hits or familiar with that I am more drawn to or at least want to explore more of.

I don't like being in my own comfort zone when it comes to music even at my age as exploring things new keeps you on your toes and while the Tubes for example I know of and have heard some of the music I am fairly certain I wasn't familiar with Haloes at all and upon listening found it to be a song with a great hook and a great vibe all round and I will be listening to it over again to get a better appreciation of the Tubes a band I now know I have to get to know better.

As you say its sometimes more than relevant and interesting to hear music you don't necessarily find interesting even dislike but for me getting the chance to listen to Haloes for example that I would never otherwise unless I stumbled across it by pure chance is a wonderful thing.
It’s important to note that The Tubes mean the most to me because they’re from my town; when I was away at school in DC or working as a young person in LA and I was homesick I would play their music and it was comforting even if it’s a bit odd, brash and imperfect. I’m glad if anyone can appreciate them viscerally but I’d totally get it if folks thought they were just a smidge over the top!

It’s important to note that The Tubes mean the most to me because they’re from my town; when I was away at school in DC or working as a young person in LA and I was homesick I would play their music and it was comforting even if it’s a bit odd, brash and imperfect. I’m glad if anyone can appreciate them viscerally but I’d totally get it if folks thought they were just a smidge over the top!
For me its not odd , brash or imperfect that you see it that way Fog in fact I see it in a completely different light.

Certainly not odd or brash and hardly imperfect.

Maybe that makes us both OBI ( pardon the pun ) in the eyes of some then.

I felt the same way about the Masters Apprentices ( check them out on you tube if you get some spare time ) because I was St Kilda born and bred and Jim Keays the lead singer lived down the road after moving from Adelaide.

I was always away from home left my parents clasp early working interstate and wanted Michael to prey for me which is more than brash even though the late Jim was 10 years my senior.

My first encounter with The Tubes was seeing them live at the Free Trade Hall; what a gig. They came on late and I had to go and ring my Dad from the phone in the foyer to ask him to drive into Manchester to come and get me because I didn't want to leave before the end to get the train.

Apologies if you were getting excited and thought this thread being bumped was a comeback.

Anyway, in a bid to get my money's worth from my month's subscription to the NOWTV entertainment channel, I found the Classic Albums series. Episode #1 covers The Band, which we reviewed on here recently. Made in the late 90s, it features excellent contributions from the surviving (at the time) members, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Don Was and the guy who produced the album. Lots of reminiscing and sitting around at the console isolating certain instruments in the mix. I really enjoyed it and recommend if you liked the album.

Just updating the Page 1 table in which some Albums were reviewed and scored on Rob's Album Review Club

Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith & Destruction - 6.1

Lou Reed - New York 5.8

Kiss - Destroyer 5.0

Incredible String Band - Hangmans Beautiful Daughter - 4.5

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.