Electric cars

I am becoming more and more disillusioned in owning an EV. I would not advise anyone to go out and get one at present UNLESS you can charge at home/certain you can charge away. I can charge at home but occasionally we have to go over to Manchester. It is increasingly difficult to get the car charged away. Earlier this month i stopped to ‘top up’ at a service station on the motorway. 2 chargers - 3 cables to be used, 2 cars using, I plugged in to the spare only for the machine to say that only one connector could be used at any one time. The guy next to me said he would be another 45 min to 1 hour and the other guy said the same. So nearly 90 mins to ’top up’. I only wanted to put in enough to get me home (it is a 250 mile round trip so just wanted enough to get me home). This is not the first time it has happened. Exactly the same thing happened at Lancaster services on a trip to the Lakes in November.
This government are sitting on their hands and doing nothing to help. They announced earlier this year that all car parks with more than 19 spaces had to have at least one EV charge point now they have gone back and said only new ones. This countries charging network is aweful and is not keeping up with demand.
Rant over.

We have had the VW Passat Hybrid for nine months now. We charge it directly from a general mains point in our garage. My wife's company (who's car it is) will stump up for a purpose 'fast charge' point, but as we plan to move this Spring, we are waiting until then. (Assuming the new house has the layout for it)

When we first got it, it was charging to on average 30/35 miles of electric before petrol kicks in. This was fine for local trips around Manchester area. But proved useless when we went to South West Wales and Devon, as neither cottage we rented were close enough to park and reach a mains socket.

Then around September, it simply stopped charging at all. New part ordered took four weeks to arrive from Germany.
When it did arrive, it was the wrong part .... no worries VW said, we can have the correct part here the day after tomorrow ... (four weeks for the first though??)

New part fitted, and it has never charged above 22 miles range since.

Not impressed with this electrickery malarky so far. (As shame because the drive, comfort and spec is fantastic otherwise)

Burnham is taking a beating over this clean air/congestion charge, targeting the working man is not going to end well.

I am becoming more and more disillusioned in owning an EV. I would not advise anyone to go out and get one at present UNLESS you can charge at home/certain you can charge away. I can charge at home but occasionally we have to go over to Manchester. It is increasingly difficult to get the car charged away. Earlier this month i stopped to ‘top up’ at a service station on the motorway. 2 chargers - 3 cables to be used, 2 cars using, I plugged in to the spare only for the machine to say that only one connector could be used at any one time. The guy next to me said he would be another 45 min to 1 hour and the other guy said the same. So nearly 90 mins to ’top up’. I only wanted to put in enough to get me home (it is a 250 mile round trip so just wanted enough to get me home). This is not the first time it has happened. Exactly the same thing happened at Lancaster services on a trip to the Lakes in November.
This government are sitting on their hands and doing nothing to help. They announced earlier this year that all car parks with more than 19 spaces had to have at least one EV charge point now they have gone back and said only new ones. This countries charging network is aweful and is not keeping up with demand.
Rant over.
No mate, not a rant. I am thinking about an ev so info like this is well worth knowing about.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.