Bluemoon Angling Thread

I do a bit of drop-shotting but in about 25 sessions I've managed one 0.5lbs Zander on the Grand Union which is a bit if a lure-fishing centre. In other words, I'm no use to you whatsoever, just letting you know you're not being ignored.
went on there this summer aswell near warwick and the stratford upon avon canal while i was away.....same result.

went on there this summer aswell near warwick and the stratford upon avon canal while i was away.....same result.

Yes, I live in Warwick. I tend to do it when I only have an hour to spare of an evening and the canal is 5 minutes away. It's a bit frustrating because round about dusk you can see the splash as they are hunting.

Didsbury Dave is probably the man for lure fishing tips but I think he's mainly Yorkshire based. We're all waiting for his perch fishing video to hit the shelves.

Managed to find the roach in the end at very long range. Had 7 or 8 around the half pound mark. Amazing the difference using a 1/2 oz tip as against a 1 oz tip. My mate was getting chewed maggots but no visible bites so I Ient him my rod and tip went right round. I guess it's that time of year.

Had a stack of pancakes with bacon and maple syrup at a local hostelry before starting which kept me warm for the rest of the day. When we stopped for a cup of tea, my mate produced a whole tray of luxury chocolate brownies lett over from Christmas. And my new year diet was going so well too !

Managed to find the roach in the end at very long range. Had 7 or 8 around the half pound mark. Amazing the difference using a 1/2 oz tip as against a 1 oz tip. My mate was getting chewed maggots but no visible bites so I Ient him my rod and tip went right round. I guess it's that time of year.

Had a stack of pancakes with bacon and maple syrup at a local hostelry before starting which kept me warm for the rest of the day. When we stopped for a cup of tea, my mate produced a whole tray of luxury chocolate brownies lett over from Christmas. And my new year diet was going so well too !
Not too bad a catch that pal, bet you felt as though you'd earned them.

When i regularly quiver-tipped at range i used braid on the reel to a 10-12ft mono shock leader. Dunno if you have used braid but with it having zero stretch bites on the tip were much more positive.

Chewed maggots are typical of roach skimmers and bream, what length tail did you use? Maybe shorten slightly if a tad too long.

im a long time angler and used to fishing matches years ago on canals and more recently on commercials like partridge , bradshaws etc but last year i bought some ultra light drop shot and spinning gear.
last winter fished down the moorings at worsley and been on peak forest canal around bugsworth basin and whaley bridge but caught f*** all.
anyone on here go drop shotting or soft lure fishing around manchester?
I started lure fishing during the lockdown, I too was a commercial fisherman, I struggled for months until I finally started catching, now I've sacked commercial off for canals, patience is a virtue, it's harder to catch but a lot more rewarding imo,

Not too bad a catch that pal, bet you felt as though you'd earned them.

When i regularly quiver-tipped at range i used braid on the reel to a 10-12ft mono shock leader. Dunno if you have used braid but with it having zero stretch bites on the tip were much more positive.

Chewed maggots are typical of roach skimmers and bream, what length tail did you use? Maybe shorten slightly if a tad too long.

Yes, we were both using braid. I shortened the shock leader to about 5ft and messed around with the tail all day finally settling on 3.5ft. Oddly, they were still having it on 5lb hooklength and 14s hook so fuck knows what was going on. I'm convinced it was more about the distance than anything else as the water was crystal clear. That said, it was a good 15ft at reasonably close range so, like most fishing, it remains a mystery to me.

Yes, we were both using braid. I shortened the shock leader to about 5ft and messed around with the tail all day finally settling on 3.5ft. Oddly, they were still having it on 5lb hooklength and 14s hook so fuck knows what was going on. I'm convinced it was more about the distance than anything else as the water was crystal clear. That said, it was a good 15ft at reasonably close range so, like most fishing, it remains a mystery to me.
I think the problem there is that the fish can see your hook and line mate, hence mouthing the maggots and sucking the life out of them, especially in cold clear water. I'd have scaled down to 2.5-3lb bottom and tried an 18s to double maggot, possibly a 20 hook if it was really hard to hit bites.

Did you fish a bomb, maggot or groundbait feeder?

And what do you mean by "very long range"?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.