Cycling Advice

Ride single file because if you don’t and I get stuck behind you, I will have one of those shouty car moments that middle aged men have inside the safety of their car! That won’t be good for my blood pressure!
Riding single file encourages drivers to take risks...to try and pass because "its just a bike". Riding 2 abreast makes a driver be more cautious

Well thats good to know :-)

the gears havent been touch since i got it...and i can change gear no problem....just one or two (the same ones) feel bigger...they definitely arent skipping a gear....maybe im just getting more tired/older/lazy :-)

Does chain stretch have any impact? Should i be changing it soon? i commute about 40 miles a week...with the odd weekend jaunt of 10-20 miles
Apologies for the late reply...

Chain stretch can cause gears to slip, but it will make zero difference to perceived effort. We all have days where the gears feel smaller (harder to pedal), but it's down to our own bodies lack of energy/strength, or the gradient/weather conditions rather than the bike.

Hard to say without seeing it...does it go where cyclists want to go (eg does it veer off onto a side street/onto a convoluted route around a junction)? Does it suddenly stop and throw cyclists back into a busy lane? Too narrow? Is it two way but on one side of the road only so users might have to cross two lanes to use it? Do cyclists have to stop at every side rd? If it's well thought out and safe, it will get used, if not....
I find that modern cycling infrastructure is designed with the motorist in mind first and foremost, i.e. keeping the cyclist out of the way of the motor vehicles motor, and forcing the cyclists to give way at junctions, often holding us up for ages where as motor vehicles proceed unhindered.

The lanes are generally 'fit and forget' as in "we built you a lane, now f*ck off and leave us alone". They never get cleared or swept, and they are liable to flooding, wet leaves, broken glass and other crap... Either that or they are seen as fair game for parking in.

Wear good pants

F234-D41-B-9-CD6-49-C5-9450-5-F99-A08-F7-D93.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.