The Album Review Club - Week #116 - (page 1381) - You're Never Alone with a Schizophrenic - Ian Hunter

It's kiddie rock. Rock lite. A collection of guitar songs aimed at the late teen/ early 20 something American kids.
You’re entitled to your view of course, but since I’m pretty sure late teens-20 something kids don’t know what “It’s Book Review and Face The Nation time” means, you’re completely wrong about this part.

Last edited:
As I’ve said before I like FOW, I bought their first album when I was going through my Power Pop period with the likes of Marshall Crenshaw and Mathew Sweet.This album is a progression from the first two albums.It shows off their song writing ability and the fact they can switch styles, albeit tongue in cheek easily.I like Chris Collingwood‘s voice, the production, the witty lyrics, the musicianship and the variation in tracks, like the Cars tribute and the Oasis pastiche, which I think is a piss take of a band who blatantly copied the Beatles Lol.
its a very good easy listening album that’s mostly upbeat and doesn’t take itself seriously which to me ,as mostly I listen to melancholic and depressing music,or so my wife tells me is a refreshing change.

8/10
Scary how similar we re in our music listening. My wife and daughters regularly comment that the music I listen to is "wrist-slasher" stuff.

Also, I mentioned Matthew Sweet in my review of this album because some of the guitars and chroruses remind me so much of him. As. direct result, I have been giving him a listen again and it was great to change my modus operandi for a week. I only have two Matthew Sweet albums, but I may consider nominating one of them on here somewhere down the road.

You’re entitled to your view of course, but since I’m pretty sure late teens-20 something kids don’t know what “It’s Book Review and Face The Nation time” means, you’re completely wrong about this part.
Whilst there's a certain sheen to this album, I can't imagine for the most part it was written with teenagers in mind.

Whilst there's a certain sheen to this album, I can't imagine for the most part it was written with teenagers in mind.
It makes a lot of semi-sardonic, semi-wistful observations about teenagers and young people generally. It’s very obviously is aimed at the generation older than they are, which the FOW guys of course are. Not a strong observation from Bimbo there, though I share his perspective about records going on a journey being appealing. But this can be and is too.

Everybody's entitled to their opinion but by heck, these two reviews are harsh.

I agree that there isn't a cohesive theme to this album, and for that reason, it could never qualify as great, but what they have done across multiple genres is pretty catchy. I like more thoughtful, deeper stuff, but pulling off a memorable 3-minute pop song is no mean feat, and they've done that several times here. Cohesive it isn't, but it's certainly doesn't lack variety and only the attempt at country doesn't work for me.

Anyway, each to their own.
I feel like I just got reprimanded by my teacher. :)

I feel like I just got reprimanded by my teacher. :)
Not at all. Everybody is free to give an honest opinion. At the same time, I would hope that everybody is free to offer counter points when people mark an album so low (or high).

Much as a I enjoyed “Stacey’s Mom” - which is a pure slice of pop - if the rest of the album would have been like the first three songs, I would have been marking it a lot lower. But for sheer variety - most of it played exceptionally well, I’m surprised that people would mark it so low.

Scary how similar we re in our music listening. My wife and daughters regularly comment that the music I listen to is "wrist-slasher" stuff.

Also, I mentioned Matthew Sweet in my review of this album because some of the guitars and chroruses remind me so much of him. As. direct result, I have been giving him a listen again and it was great to change my modus operandi for a week. I only have two Matthew Sweet albums, but I may consider nominating one of them on here somewhere down the road.
Ha ha, yes we seem to be Rob ,and from the sound of it our taste in wives lol.
ive not listened to MS for a long time , he was in a band and called ‘The Thorns’ with Shawn Mullins who I also like which ,if haven’t heard,is worth listening to.
I think I can guess which one you’d nominate.

Ha ha, yes we seem to be Rob ,and from the sound of it our taste in wives lol.
ive not listened to MS for a long time , he was in a band and called ‘The Thorns’ with Shawn Mullins who I also like which ,if haven’t heard,is worth listening to.
I think I can guess which one you’d nominate.
Yes I know of The Thorns. Can’t remember whether I listened to the album.

The reason I bought the album you are probably thinking of was because I saw him when he was supporting Del Amitri at the Apollo in 1992.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.