Offended by food?

Fish and chips aren’t even a British dish.

Deep fried fish was brought to Britain by Jews; chips are Belgian.

To be fair you can say that for any food, it's reported that the very first Fish and chip shop was opened in Oldham by 5th generation Jews, who were British/English at that time.

As for the Belgians inventing chips? Ever since there have been spuds I can bet you that people have been mashing boiling and frying the little buggers ;)

I was reading some PG Wodehouse a while back, and he uses "could of" in his dialogue.
Tut tut tut! I sometimes say could’ve which can sound like could of when spoken and is probably where the misspelling/miswriting has come from! The English language evolves as we can see from the new words appearing so frequently but misspelling should, in my humble opinion, always be pulled up in schools from an early age. I had many semi-heated discussions with my tutors at college about this very subject.
However, I do not want to drift away from the purpose of this thread which is about food so I will leave it there. :-)

I feel that a lot of folk that get offended over stuff like this are unaware how little everyone cares. I suspect this is more about Jamie Oliver promoting himself or another book/TV show than the feelings of the tiny amount of daft twats that might be offended.

Obviously it's a minority because the cuisine's he's butchering are by definition minorities.

Food is a massive part of culture and heritage, particularly for immigrants, and it's a source of pride and connection to where you come from.

So when someone like Oliver rolls up, absolutely butchers their national dishes, launches some new hedge-fund backed restaurant chain that puts all the local family run restaurants out of business, and then leaves when that food's not trendy anymore it's makes people angry.

Where I am, we lost a couple of really good, family run Italian restaurants that had been going for 40 years when Jamie's Italian come along, and they don't come back just because Jamie's went bust. Same thing happened with Giggling Squid and Thai. Fortunately the local Carribbean kitchen is still going despite Turtle Bay's pathetic imitation opening.

Hiring a person to say "look, we're not inauthentic, we've got this Jamaican/Thai/Ghanian/Mexican on staff who say it's legit, isn't going to solve the problem or stop people hating the business model.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.