10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we've overpaid for everyone since Txixi arrived in your opinion . Do you understand the principle of market forces ?

I assume therfore that you are standing by your claim that City have overspent on Grealish by £70 - £75 million ?

Sounds like you wouldn't have bought any of the players who help to make the team so strong then. And how long do you think Pep, or any decent manager , would have been at the club under your approach ?
With all due respect mate, I think you're a bit too obsessed with this for reasonable discussion.

Over and out.

This is funny, these comments "give him a year, you said the same about mahrez" etc etc were the same on the Torres thread for an entire year. Then we sold him for profit and the same people said "he never really performed for us, he wasn't good enough".

I get the desire to support the players when they're at the club, but clearly the criticism has legs and you can't just waive it away with lazy comparisons to mahrez that miss the mark, both by the numbers and stylistically.
Except the comparisons to Mahrez, Rodri, Cancelo, Bernardo, Sané, and Gundogan are more likely accurate than not.

You can keep saying he was worse than Mahrez, but even if that's so it doesn't really matter. Bernardo's first few months were worse than Mahrez's and he's a better player now than Mahrez is for City. So if you're using Mahrez as the benchmark it's irrelevant.

The only thing that matters is whether Grealish will improve, and history shows that it's likely to happen. I don't know why you'd rather be on the wrong side of history here but you do you.

you realize you can't point out to any argument about why grealish will magically discover how to use his left foot or how to dribble past a player or shoot on target that isn't "well, but what about mahrez"?

you realize you can't point out to any argument about why grealish will magically discover how to use his left foot or how to dribble past a player or shoot on target that isn't "well, but what about mahrez"?
I'm starting to suspect you have the wrong idea about what Grealish actually does. Did you watch him at Villa? You do understand his qualities?

You keep bringing up Mahrez but I'm starting to think that Rodri is a more applicable comparison, seeing as he was judged by the wrong metrics in his first season too.

Except the comparisons to Mahrez, Rodri, Cancelo, Bernardo, Sané, and Gundogan are more likely accurate than not.

You can keep saying he was worse than Mahrez, but even if that's so it doesn't really matter. Bernardo's first few months were worse than Mahrez's and he's a better player now than Mahrez is for City. So if you're using Mahrez as the benchmark it's irrelevant.

The only thing that matters is whether Grealish will improve, and history shows that it's likely to happen. I don't know why you'd rather be on the wrong side of history here but you do you.

Again, I wouldn’t say you’re wrong and I genuinely hope you’re right. But for me, due to his age and what i’ve seen so far both for us and Villa I just don’t see how he can improve enough. For me, for us to
improve he is in direct competition with Foden, as we are likely to sign a striker so that’s one position he’s not playing next year, he won’t play right of the front three, so that leaves forward left where he’s never going to be as good or productive as Foden or as productive as Sterling.

We have some of his fan boys saying he’ll play centrally, again, he’s no chance of displacing Bernardo, has not got any of Gundogan’s attributes and will never be a patch on De Bruyne. And won’t be playing in the 6.
So he’s got two positions at best to fight for, both he’ll be competing with Foden who is 5 years younger and already a much better player.

If we only sign one striker, that hinders his progress and I think we’ll add a versatile/complete midfielder too.

I understand the comparisons to others who took time to settle, but Mahrez was a PFA player of the year and still in his settling in period had 26 direct goal contributions. Bernardo had torn us a new one in the CL and was much better in his first season that Grealish to date. Bernardo had a clear path really, as D Silva was leaving a huge hole to fill, there was a spot available.

I’m happy to have adult discussion, I just don’t see where Grealish fits in. As I see it he’ll be a good and versatile squad man who can play a few positions well, but not command a position.

If we only sign a striker.

The front 3 would be striker, Foden, Mahrez/Sterling.
Midfield 3 Rodri, Bernardo, Gundogan/De Bruyne.

I also make room for another total change in style with Pep in charge, so there could be a plan to change everything.

We could be looking at Rodri and 4 attacking midfielders and 1 striker in the style of Haaland who we rely on for goals. He’d have a more relevant role then I guess.

Last edited:
lads, just saying the words "but what about mahrez" does not actually constitute an argument. it's whataboutism. Grealish and mahrez could have wildly differing trajectories, and unlike what you're trying to claim, they haven't had even remotely comparable first seasons, grealish has been far far FAR worse than either mahrez, rodri or cancelo were in their first season.

Let alone the pricetag paid on each one.
People wanted all three sold after their first seasons so it deffo is comparable.

This is funny, these comments "give him a year, you said the same about mahrez" etc etc were the same on the Torres thread for an entire year. Then we sold him for profit and the same people said "he never really performed for us, he wasn't good enough".

I get the desire to support the players when they're at the club, but clearly the criticism has legs and you can't just waive it away with lazy comparisons to mahrez that miss the mark, both by the numbers and stylistically.
Not the same. Torres was clearly primed to be our #9 this season but then he broke his foot, became unhappy, and ultimately got sold before we knew how he was going to perform.

Also you joined the forum in May 2021, long after people had stopped complaining about Rodri, Mahrez, Cancelo, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.