What is the longest drive you've done ?

In 1933 Frank Swift set off on his motor bike from Fleetwood where he had his fishing boat and rode through the night down the A6 all the way to Wembley to watch City in the F.A. Cup Final. Next year he went again on the team coach.

Last edited:
Back in the 70's, I was working in the South-West when I received a call from my mother telling me father, who had been unwell for some time, was in Manchester Royal Infirmary and not expected to survive the day. Before the M5/M6 was full opened, I drove the 160 miles and on arrival found my dad had pulled back and seemed safe (for now). I couldn't stay, (wife was near full term), a quick coffee and drove back home. Got home wife says the hospital has called again, (no mobile 'phones in those day), dad has relapsed. Quick coffe, turned round drove back to MRI, sadly dad had gone by the time I got there. My brother was taking care of things so, quick coffee and back down the A49. Got home, wife had packed a bag, called a taxi and gone to local maternity hospital about 30 miles away. Drove there, all good and fine. No danger of birth for 24 hours, quick coffee and home again. Approx' 700 miles for the day Sadly the baby was still-born during the night, midwife fell asleep, missed her rounds and the warning signs.
Not the best 24 hours.

Bath to Manchester in a car I've never drove before. That's impressive for me

Was testing my eyesight

I once drove to Hamilton Ont. on Friday night after working all day and then drove a plane to London where I then drove a train to Manchester. It is there that I proceeded to drag my Grandad to the Phoenix on Briscoe lane for an all day session and then promptly drove the train back to London in order to drive a flight back to Hamilton Ont. where I jumped in my car and drove home and went to bed on the Sunday night. Work on Monday morning was a bit like being on acid.

I once drove to Hamilton Ont. on Friday night after working all day and then drove a plane to London where I then drove a train to Manchester. It is there that I proceeded to drag my Grandad to the Phoenix on Briscoe lane for an all day session and then promptly drove the train back to London in order to drive a flight back to Hamilton Ont. where I jumped in my car and drove home and went to bed on the Sunday night. Work on Monday morning was a bit like being on acid.
Drove me mad reading that.............:)

Expensive weekend.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.