The Album Review Club - Week #120 - (page 1413) - The Lexicon of Love - ABC

David Gray - A Century Ends

View attachment 35179

@Mancitydoogle gets it

Well I’m expecting serious points deduction for this one - not only because of Babylon but …also he’s a rag so I’m treading a very fine line here.

But… Pre White Ladder , David Gray produced some lovely stripped back acoustic stuff - including this one especially, his debut ‘A Century Ends’ which I think went completely under the radar.

I bought this as a teen not knowing much about David Gray apart from Babylon and it’s just stuck with me throughout the years.

It’s such a beautiful album really, lovely melodies - surprisingly upbeat in many songs but most of all and especially lyrically raw and sincere.

It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea and I liken it closest to Jason Isbell’s offering we had before - but give it a few listens and it just might suprise ya!

Stand out tracks -

Shine
Let The Truth Sting
Gathering Dust
Living Room (personal favourite)
I'm sure I must have heard the odd snippet of him singing on the TV, but I don't think I've ever heard a single David Gray song.

I'm sure I must have heard the odd snippet of him singing on the TV, but I don't think I've ever heard a single David Gray song.

surely you’ve heard Babylon and a few off the white ladder album ?!

It was huge selling in the UK

Ditto .... unless the odd play on TV, maybe ads, never heard anything by him. I don't listen to any radio channels that would play him at all.

surely you’ve heard Babylon and a few off the white ladder album ?!

It was huge selling in the UK

Ditto .... unless the odd play on TV, maybe ads, never heard anything by him. I don't listen to any radio channels that would play him at all.
No, not listened to music on the radio for years. Sport, yes, but not music.

I'm sure I'll recognise some because the BBC and ITV love to use snippets of songs all over the place.
That's the reason why I hate Coldplay even though I've never heard one of their albums. Para, para, para, bloody, Paradise all over the TV all the bloody time.

No, not listened to music on the radio for years. Sport, yes, but not music.

I'm sure I'll recognise some because the BBC and ITV love to use snippets of songs all over the place.
That's the reason why I hate Coldplay even though I've never heard one of their albums. Para, para, para, bloody, Paradise all over the TV all the bloody time.
That song is pure wank. No band has ever gone downhill as far as Coldplay.

Pretty sure I still have White Ladder on CD, but don’t ever remember buying it. It must belong to the Missus. Haven’t played any CD in years though. Don’t have anything to play them on.

Always found him a bit….. meh? Ok? Harmless! Pleasant in the background.
It’ll be interesting to see if he passes the missus’s appreciation test now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.