Your favourite Python sketch.

Dead parrot but this runs it a very close second.

When I first looked this up I was quite surprised to discover that it wasn't, strictly speaking, a Python sketch. I don't think it was written by them, and Marty Feldman is one of the original four. Thing is, you can also see that version on Youtube. I've never been able to explain it, but I just don't find the original a quarter as funny as the Hollywood Bowl version. Something about Palin and Idle in that version just makes me fall on the floor every time.
This version, I see, has Atkinson. Again, can't explain it, but I've always found him deeply unfunny.
Humour is a mysterious thing.
Strange how so many programmes that I found really funny in the 60s and 70s barely make me smile.

I know the title says sketch but sometimes it was just the one liners.
One sketch has 2 of them dressed as old dears and Cleese walks in, he is the son of one of the women. As they talk one of them explodes (as you tend to do in Python) and the mum gets all sentimental
"She was my best friend"
Cleese replies 'oh stop it mother people explode all the time'
Mum: ' yeh, didn't like her much anyway'

What was the one where the effeminate gay son was a coal miner and his typical Yorkshire man Dad was an actor.
That was piss funny.

When I first looked this up I was quite surprised to discover that it wasn't, strictly speaking, a Python sketch. I don't think it was written by them, and Marty Feldman is one of the original four. Thing is, you can also see that version on Youtube. I've never been able to explain it, but I just don't find the original a quarter as funny as the Hollywood Bowl version. Something about Palin and Idle in that version just makes me fall on the floor every time.
This version, I see, has Atkinson. Again, can't explain it, but I've always found him deeply unfunny.
Humour is a mysterious thing.
Strange how so many programmes that I found really funny in the 60s and 70s barely make me smile.
I know it's subjective but, like you, I've never found Rowan Atkinson even mildly amusing. Frankly, I've never forgiven him from inflicting the Mr Bean character on us which is probably hilarious if you're five years old.

It's been mentioned once but my favourite is the Gumby flower arranging sketch.
Even my old grandma thought it was hilarious

I know it's subjective but, like you, I've never found Rowan Atkinson even mildly amusing. Frankly, I've never forgiven him from inflicting the Mr Bean character on us which is probably hilarious if you're five years old.

Funny isn't it? But people love that character.
I found the piece he did for the London Olympics on the verge of embarrassing.

As an aside to the sketches you could buy Python LP's.
One was brilliant. One one side of the LP there were two sets of grooves. The record sleeve didn't tell you this so you put it on and it would start with a sketch and run for 10-15 minutes, the next time you put it on you might get the same start and obviously think nothing of it. On the other hand you could start with a totally different sketch that you hadn't heard which was really confusing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.