Religion

Indeed, do you feel the same about scientific research into creation and evolution?
Do you think you sound deep when you post shite like this?

The purpose of scientific research is to find out the reason why things happen. It’s to find out the truth via empirical evidence.

Now you’ve mentioned evolution, I have to ask, do you doubt evolution is a real process, genuinely?

Science also gave us the nuclear weapons that Mr Putin has at his disposal and at least in part has fuelled a lot of environmental concerns.
Science has give us every technological advantage that we have over other primates. It’s why we now live to 80 and can speak to each other on the other side of the world.

Religion has given us the vast majority of wars over the last two millennia and a fuck ton of bullshit stories that are demonstrably false. It’s a crutch for those too weak of mind to get over the fact that they’re nothing in the grand scheme of things and that this is all there is.

I reject religion, on a few grounds.

Firstly, there's no evidence for anything it's ever said for which there might be evidence. That's a trite observation, one that any fourteen-year-old who's spent ten minutes on YouTube could tell you, but it's important: I'm a materialist, I don't believe in reality that isn't physical and at least theoretically measurable, so if there has been no objective evidence, then no dice with me. Secondly, I wouldn't even want it to be true. I do not want all morality to come from some cosmic force who owns me, who created me, who can control me even after I die. I don't want to live under the eye of some spiritual father; let me be me, for all my failings and errors. And thirdly, I don't think it's practically helpful. I think a great deal of evil is done in it's name, and I think it's disgraceful that in modern societies we still bring up children and force them to sing songs to a God in schools. That's horrible. State education should not ever instil a religion. Even disregarding the fact that the most popular religious texts are a net in which homophobia, misogyny, and stupidity collect, it's an act of unimaginable arrogance to take minds which are too young to form a full opinion of reality and instil in them a belief system for which there is no objective evidence. And as my general worldview is based on the principle that all hierarchies should be questioned, I think we may as well start with the intergalactic hierarchy of God.

Also, Songs of Praise is boring.

Much has been written to rightly ridicule those recent religions that have played out in well recorded and attested history. The best example being the laughable invention of the Mormons. Of course, it’s hardly difficult to see that the Abrahamic Big 3 would be just as easy to discredit if their early days were as transparent. This whole QAnon bat-shittery is another belief-set that’s rapidly becoming a religion too. Morally and intellectually it’s no different to any that’s gone before it.

In one of the Narnia books, the Silver Chair, the character says

“I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.”​

To me, even if the supernatural claims of a faith are not true, it is better for a society to live as if they are. A society like that will be better, kinder, more noble and more moral. We should live like Narnians even if there is no Narnia.

Indeed, do you feel the same about scientific research into creation and evolution?
I find scientific research interesting.. That gives it meaning to me.

That does not mean that “creation” or “life” has meaning.

Much has been written to rightly ridicule those recent religions that have played out in well recorded and attested history. The best example being the laughable invention of the Mormons. Of course, it’s hardly difficult to see that the Abrahamic Big 3 would be just as easy to discredit if their early days were as transparent. This whole QAnon bat-shittery is another belief-set that’s rapidly becoming a religion too. Morally and intellectually it’s no different to any that’s gone before it.

Someone once told me that Mormonism might have been a piss-take. It was something to do with Joseph Smith being a practical joker.

With QAnon, it's much more of a possibility. For me, it's the adrenochrome aspect that makes me think that. The notion that there is a cabal of blood drinking pedophile, Satan-worshipping lizards is clearly derived from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, specifically the section where Thompson's attorney talks about procuring the substance from an impoverished Satanist in lieu of legal fees from a client accused of child molestation. And there is more than one episode involving the pair of reprobates hallucinating about lizards.

Given how credulous people are, maybe we should start a cult about Mark E Smith.

Last edited:
Ok. Paddy’s day over and I’m watching ‘. My Left Foot’.
What strikes me immediately is that the clergy in Ireland were not equipped, educationally to deal with the education of the country which the state gladly passed to them, because the country could afford nothing more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.