Death (not family/friends) impacted on you

Most of us in the U.K. were asleep in our beds when Diana snuffed it.
I was working in Jersey, we got in about 2 am and put telly on in the staff accomodation, news was all diana, Cockney lad I worked with was in bits crying like fuck, lad from leicester was, not mithered and I just got a beer out the fridge, turned the telly off and put on some music completely not arsed about it.

Still not arsed to this day about it.

Rod Hull's passing was bloody awful as it will always be associated with the rags flukin the treble.

Always wondered what ever happened to emu.
Hope he was found a good home
He went into rehab and never got over being fisted by a rag every day of his life. I heard he moved in with Bernie Clifton and the abuse continued

Rod Hull's passing was bloody awful as it will always be associated with the rags flukin the treble.

Always wondered what ever happened to emu.
Hope he was found a good home

Can somone recall for me a joke about that, it was so funny, but my long covids making me forget stuff. It was something to do with Rod Hull fixing his aerial so he could watch the Utd. game (and he fell) so it was something to do with hull going down and United winning a treble, but I can't recall the actual bloody thing and its bugging me.

Never had a death impact on me if it wasn't a friend or family member. I might think 'oh, that's a shame' but that's about it. I don't really get all this minutes applause in the 17th minute for someone who died on the 17th.....all that kind of stuff. Don't care about people who do it, each to their own, but I don't care for people who look at you like you're a **** when you don't join in. It's all strange to me.

Brian Goodwin a 60+ year old Mill electrician at my first place of work who took me under is wing. He had a big thrown like old chair that he would let me sit in when he went home for dinner "Help yerself to any books under my desk lad" and that is the way 16 year old me learned reading can be an enjoyable way to pass time. Till then the only books i read were educational. Started on Spike Milligans Puckoon.
If Brian ever need a lift he would ask for me which gave me loads of time and half and would end up giving massive bollockings when i fucked up.

He died about 1990 and i still use some of his catchphrases, he was sort of the bloke who taught me how to be a man, by that time i had stopped listening to my mam and dad, they obviously didn't have anything they could teach me by then ;)

read that back and the sentence construction is shite, mainly because i keep going back to when he was alive and lose track...eh ho, the bloke affected me, what can i say

Reflecting on life and death, I was thinking about who's death had affected me most, excluding family and friends. I decided on two.

Firstly, although it may sound a bit David Brentish, I felt that the world was a vastly inferior place without Nelson Mandela in it and South Africa lost a significant part of its moral compass. An unbelievably courageous and forgiving man.

Secondly, although not as significant on a global level, Joe Strummer's death in 2004 hit me harder. We saw him with The Mescaleros in Manchester about a year earlier and although they were not The Clash, Joe was on top form. He died quite young and when I heard the news on the radio, I found it very hard to come to terms with. It certainly put a dampener on my mood that Christmas.

Anyway, they're my two.
Like you, Joe Strummer's death hit me hard at the time. I think the feeling of loss was heightened by the fact that he was a spokesman for a generation and, of course, that he died far too young. I was also deeply affected by John Peel's passing. In common with many others, Peel was instrumental in forming my musical tastes during those difficult teenage years.

Bowies hit me a fair bit, just how quiet he kept it and then releasing that album and he was immediately gone. Even making his death an art form, the man was just a genius.

Alan Rickman would be the other one.

RIP Donald. The smartest, most demanding most intellectually ambitious boss I ever had. Also the funniest, warmest, most engaging, most inspirational colleague.

His early death shook me to the core.

When Geoff Armstrong kicked the bucket aged 49 I was gutted. He was a great guy but a shit window cleaner

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.