Premier League or Champions League?

What do you want us to win more?

• Total voters
It’s not an opinion more an obvious fact, if you win a competition say 5 times and fail to win another once then the competition you haven’t won is logically the hardest to win. When the CL was the European cup an argument could be made about which was harder because you only entered that cup as a league winner or a defending champion so you naturally played in it less.

But if you enter the champions league say 12 years on the bounce and obviously the league 12 years on the bounce then the hardest to win must be the one you have won the least.
As I said previously, the best team always wins the PL that's not the case for the CL or any other cup .. That’s a pure, unadulterated fact ..

The team with the most points or record wins the title each year over 38 games these days and its the one that generally gives the supporters and club and all stakeholders the most satisfaction.

As for best the term is subjective and we all have our opinions and may are well informed and worth taking note of.

I see no reason why we cannot win both in any given year hopefully this is the first of a number into the future.

My preference has always been in the league but I will like many I trust will get a lot of enjoyment when we win of first Chumps League final.

While its not silverware I am very proud to support a club who has been successful in qualifying for the tournament in number of successive years we have as were Arsenal supporters under Wenger which I hope we can match if not exceed.

To achieve what we have in the past 11 seasons I would never have imagined in all my wildest REM moments and I am never one for expecting or demanding more than what I can cherish already , any silverware into the future is a bonus as far as I am concerned albeit I want and think we are structured to always be competitive no matter what new and richer owners come onto the scene in the future.

Like life in general very little stays the same for too long and all things must pass.

As I said previously, the best team always wins the PL that's not the case for the CL or any other cup .. That’s a pure, unadulterated fact ..
Which was a point I never covered. I was discussing which is harder.

Best leave it its like talking to a flat earther.

In principle I prefer to win the league. But not winning the CL again and again is frustrating and it's come to the point where I really want that monkey off our back.

We've won the league 5 times in the last 10 seasons. Is 6 from 11 really that different? The CL title cements our position as inarguably the best team in Europe and until we win it, that claim always has a question mark against it.

So right now? CL for me.

You mean club trophy.

The World Cup is the most prestigious Football trophy in the World.

Ask any player which trophy out of those 2 they would want to win.
Correct. And the World Cup also is a knockout with qualifiers and pre-qualifiers. Now you're getting it: those are the two trophies all players values above all others because they have the most prestige.

It depends on how you define best. If best is "won the most points" then sure.

But there are other dimensions like how good are you when at your very best?

Imagine a golfer who can shoot 59 but is inconsistent and rarely wins tournaments. Vs another who never scores lower than 2 or 3 under but does it regularly and wins more often.

Who is the better golfer?

Edit: You are also ignoring luck, which obviously plays a huge part in knockout comps, but is still relevant over 38 games.

Just look at Liverpool's winning season - they had hardly any injuries and played the same team week in, week out. Dead lucky. They had crazy refereeing decisions go in their favour. They had opponents fucking it up at the last moment. They were in short, dead jammy. That does not mean best team to me, just luckiest.

You only got into the European Cup by winning your domestic league. Not by finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, winning the Europa League, finishing 3rd in the CL group stages, dropping out of the CL straight into the Europa League. Being put in different pots. Avoiding teams from your own league. Being given a specific draw. Being given a specific team. Can UEFA make the ‘Champions League’ anymore fixed. Yes, by expanding it. The best thing about the CL is the trophy. It’s a good looking trophy.
Finishing 4th in the PL is harder than winning the Scottish League.

Real Madrid have won the CL 4 times in the last 10 years. Only once was that off the back of winning their domestic league the year before.

So are you telling me the other 3 times they won it, the competition would have been better if they weren’t in it, and instead the winners of the Belarus or Finland league took their place?

It’s a non-sensical argument that because it says the word “champions” that only champions should be in it. Would the World Cup be better if only the winners of the Euros, Libitadores etc got into it?

Finishing 4th in the PL is harder than winning the Scottish League.

Real Madrid have won the CL 4 times in the last 10 years. Only once was that off the back of winning their domestic league the year before.

So are you telling me the other 3 times they won it, the competition would have been better if they weren’t in it, and instead the winners of the Belarus or Finland league took their place?

It’s a non-sensical argument that because it says the word “champions” that only champions should be in it. Would the World Cup be better if only the winners of the Euros, Libitadores etc got into it?
In a lot of cases this is a defence mechanism by a number of fans because we haven't won it. Try to make the competition of much lesser value. Its both human nature and very transparent

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.