Real Madrid (A) Post Match Thread

Absolutely gutted with what happened and still trying to work out how and why. Sometimes you have to give credit to opposition and Real Madrid never gave up. The referee was appalling, Casemiro should've been off by half time but not to be.

Losing Walker changed our defence and you could make a case that wrecked our defence but we held a two goal lead over the tie on numerous occasions and didn't hold it. That's on us and us alone. We should've closed the tie down but we didn't now we have to live with that.

Absolutely heart broken, but we go again against Newcastle to try and win the League, will take a monumental effort to get the players back up after that so here's hoping we respond.

I've run those final minutes of normal time over in my head a dozen times and I don't think there's anything specific to pin the blame on. It just happens sometimes. That's the Champions League, that's football.

As I've seen someone say on Twitter, "Sometimes you 93:20 another team, sometimes another team 93:20s you". As much as humans like to look for patterns in things and like to try and explain the unexplainable, there really is no way to answer all the questions that nights like tonight bring up.

As our old friend Bobby Manc used to say, "This is football". Nights like tonight are why we love football so much, as much as it hurts when you're on the receiving end of its ability to produce unrivalled drama. I just hope the lads can get themselves ready for Sunday, dust themselves down, and get back on with the title race.

But even if we falter from here and end up completely potless, City will still be here tomorrow and we'll still be a joy to watch. Going trophyless is below expectations but it's not a crisis. We went without a trophy in 2013, 2015 and 2017, and if we go without winning anything in 2022 then we'll be fine. We'll just pick it up and start again.

Fucking hate everything about this competition. Bent everything. We totally fucked up tonight but every time we do the bastards always seem to come down on us with everything they’ve got. As soon as they scored the ref became a different animal and seemed hell bent on getting them over the line. Job done once again.
Well done you bent bastards

I agree it wasn't about losing it in the first leg, but I don't believe we bottled it either. They got lucky, their 2nd goal was a total fluke. It happens. A lot of people talk about not putting chances away, but they didn't have a shot on target for 90- minutes. EVERY team misses chances, and it wasn't one of those games that looked like we needed to se it out. They scabbed it, simple as.
Well they do that a lot and we didn’t look like we knew it.

We missed chances, while they were clinical sure enough but the defence let us down more in the goals we conceded for me.

City lost their shape when Real's first goal went in and I don't think that happens if Walker was able to play 90mins(even if they did still grab a goal). All Real did was up the intensity and lob balls into the box. Dias shouldn't have fell for Benzema's attempt to win a penalty, just be close enough to block the shot and pull your leg away as soon as he looks for the contact. That was the nail in the coffin.

On the other side of it, people can take it all out on the team and dismiss the officials all they like but they played a big part in how extra time fizzled out(where Real really won the game... because the tie was level going into it). The ref went from letting challenges go when that's what Real needed. To never having his whistle out of his mouth, which conveniently enough, was exactly what Real needed at the time. The time keepers, went from giving 6 minutes stoppage time(just what Real ordered) to 3 minutes stoppage time, where less than 1 minute of football was played and he whistled early to add insult to injury. If the roles were reversed, City grab a goal at the end of normal time and the board would say 3mins, which would be Real's signal to waste was much time as possible(where as he was telling Foden, Sterling, Gundogan and Grealish to get up for the same type of fouls in normal time).Why keep up the facade and not just end the game when Benzema buys his penalty from Dias? Just end it there like you clearly wanted it to.

That said, we already know we have to play games while thinking about not giving the refs chances to shine for UEFA, as well as the oppositions attackers.

Yes the defence had to be rejigged and I think it might have even finished 0-0 if Walker was able to play 90mins. Had he came off and then we concede etc it would have been easier to take but we kept them to no chances after Walker came off while scoring what should have been the deciding goal ourselves. So there's a sense that these same players could and should have been able to match any intensity Real showed in stoppage time and extra time. Ake would have been a safer choice to hold the lead I thought but maybe he just wasn't as ready as Zinchenko. As much as the second goal had a bit luck with the deflection on the way through, I think him and Grealish could have done a little better stopping those crosses coming in from the left for the Real players to attack with everything they had.

Same old story unfortunately and I think that's handed Liverpool yet another CL trophy. There's no way I see Real winning that game, we were better than them, we had them and they escaped by the skin of their teeth(done that one to many times to win the whole thing, very rare you see a team do that). However bitching and moaning and calling the players or manager shit wont do anyone any good. We go again next year.

I'm going to log off for the night before the energy vampires sap what little enthusiasm I have left for the season completely. Nothing to do but focus on the league now. CTID!

Last edited:
Absolute choke from the players but Pep should take a lot of the blame! He won't make a f@cking sub in league games (or FA cup semis) but makes 4 in last 20 mins tonight? Absolutely no need to take off Jesus or Mahrez, left us short up front and opened up our flanks, he just can't help tinkering!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.