Electric cars

The question with EVs is how the energy is generated and supplied to the batteries?
The cost of mining the materials for the batteries is another factor.
Every time you convert one form of energy to another, around 10% is lost.
So to burn coal or gas to produce electricity immediately wastes 10% of that original form of energy.
If we are serious about EVs we need to be taking the bull by the horns and using nuclear energy to provide electricity for them.
In the end we will be forced into it.
Soon every one will have solar panels on their roofs as the cost comes down

Soon every one will have solar panels on their roofs as the cost comes down

Only when cars have a roof the size of a football pitch will that be the case - as ever its the technology that is behind the ambition.

Just watching Politics North who are covering this today - here in the North East there are just under 800 chargers whereas govt's own body says at least 28k are needed. They just highlighted that sticking 3 chargers in a car park is doable - having a whole floor of parking bays means there is huge expense having the power supply grid to the building upgraded - then if several larger scale solutions are installed in a given area you are then looking at improvements needed to the whole grid to support the power supply. Large scale charge point provision outside major city centre's just isn't coming any time soon.

Only when cars have a roof the size of a football pitch will that be the case - as ever its the technology that is behind the ambition.

Just watching Politics North who are covering this today - here in the North East there are just under 800 chargers whereas govt's own body says at least 28k are needed. They just highlighted that sticking 3 chargers in a car park is doable - having a whole floor of parking bays means there is huge expense having the power supply grid to the building upgraded - then if several larger scale solutions are installed in a given area you are then looking at improvements needed to the whole grid to support the power supply. Large scale charge point provision outside major city centre's just isn't coming any time soon.
I meant house roofs, not car roofs

I believe that when EV are able to hit 1000-km range then electric cars will start to gain real popularity. I suppose that a lot of people are not sure that average 500-km range is enough for their daily routine.

I believe that when EV are able to hit 1000-km range then electric cars will start to gain real popularity. I suppose that a lot of people are not sure that average 500-km range is enough for their daily routine.

They won't be practical until you have chargers everywhere - chargers that work and are accessible - a grid network able to supply power on the scale needed and the ability to generate sufficient extra power cleanly. There will also need to be affordable cars that can fully recharge in about 15 mins using chargers that can fit any vehicle.

The reason being we live in a world where filling stations are everywhere with universal pumps and hoses. They are accessible and power cuts being the exception always work. You can give a car 500- 700 range in about 10 minutes. The supply to these filling stations is on the whole reliable and cars costs what they cost. That is the picture now - anything worse is regressive and hard to get people to accept and damaging to the economy.

Then you'll have a long wait. For that to happen then there will have to be a major advance of battery technology, which, despite all the claims, isn't happening.
It's a massive con. Not one manufacturer is honest about the range, none of them talk about the finite life of the battery and how they propose to dispose of them in an environmentally friendly way.
In the meantime, fuel prices are through the roof, it's almost as if they want us to buy an ev, even though we don't need to.
The most environmentally friendly thing you can do, is keep the car you have, for as long as possible.

There are so many questions needing to be answered about electric cars. Here are the main ones for me.
What is the true cost of manufacturing an electric vehicle?

How long before the infrastructure is built and what will that cost?

Will it be possible to accurately predict the vehicles' range, when the weather is cold and you need to put the car heating on?

What plan is in place to recycle electric vehicles/components when their useful life is ended?

If full electric is adopted, what will happen to all the redundant fuel pumps, conventional cars and spare parts for them?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.