City v. Liverpool in Community Shield, whatever happens in title race

petrusha

Team supported
MCFC since 1975
Liverpool's win in yesterday's FA Cup final confirms both their participation in this year's Community Shield and ours. The date of the match doesn't seem to have been officially confirmed, but with the PL due to start on 6 August, it will presumably be on Sunday, 31 July.

If we now go on and claim the league title, participation will be decided on the traditional champions v. Cup winners basis, giving a match-up between City and Liverpool. If, heaven forbid, Liverpool were now to go on and also become champions, the convention is that the double winners face the league's second-placed side, so this method would also have City as Liverpool's opposition.

Apparently, Wembley can't host the fixture this year owing to the women's Euros. The Emirates, London Stadium, Elland Road and Villa Park have been touted as possible venues. However, the most recent reports had Leicester's King Power Stadium as favourite to host the event, despite having a smaller capacity than any of the other grounds supposedly in the running.

Of course, City won the Community Shield the last time it had to be moved from Wembley. In 2012, with the London ground unavailable owing to the Olympic football tournament, Roberto Mancini's side defeated Chelsea 3-2 at Villa Park.

Last edited:
Thought it was the king power for the charity shield

As I said in my post, the latest reports suggested the King Power but nothing has been confirmed yet.

i thought the premier league kicks off on the 6th august?
early because of the world cup.

Yes, you're right and I've amended my post. I searched for the date of the Community Shield and all I could find was unofficial ticketing sites suggesting 7 August. But the PL has announced that its season will start on 6 August, so I guess we can presume that the date will be 31 July.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.