Premier League Games 15/16/17/19 May '22

No idea what that team selection was. As soon as I saw the Southampton XI I knew they would get nothing from the game. Be interesting to hear Hasenhuttl’s reasoning for it. That said, their strongest team got battered by Brentford in their last game so not sure it would’ve made much difference.

Maybe not Ric but he was very chirpy in the pre match presser,and I thought to myself,ok they may have a good go at them,then I saw the line up and a good 4 shall we say first teamers on the bench,then go about playing like a league 2 side for at least 75mins.
They have sickened me with that performance tonight and even though it’s always been in our hands that was just not good enough from Southampton at all

6 fouls each, 2 cards Southampton, Dippers 0 again despite making at least 2 card worthy fouls. Amazing how few cards they get

Look at the difference in West Ham throwing their bodies on the line v us, defending and challenging for everything. Tonight was not a professional performance, absolute zero pride or passion for their last home game of the season.
Because one team is fighting for Europa League football (on the day they said goodbye their club captain) and the other has been on the beach since March.

It wasn't just the Southampton players who weren't up for it tonight; the fans were silent all game as well. They're a club that's thoroughly done with this season - I'm slightly grateful that Liverpool only clawed one goal back as opposed to the 4-0 drubbing I was expecting them to dole out.

Hassenhutl is clearly off in the summer, the fans and players have lost patience with him. I think he probably thought that chucking a bunch of second-stringers out might catch Liverpool off-guard and might give said second-stringers a chance to prove themselves. Turns out it didn't.

Liverpool fans could just as easily point at us beating Brighton 3-0 the other week and ask why they just rolled over for us when they nicked a point at Anfield. Leicester beat them 1-0 at the King Power pretty soon after we won there. They've dropped 4 points against Chelsea while we've taken maximum points.

That's how football works.

A team with nothing to play for. Playing poorly after making a few changes. Really fishy that…. Quite normal really. Watched city do the same a few times. Liverpool scrape through them kind of games, something we don’t overly do but you’d hope Sunday we are on it from the first whistle. Play to our best and we don’t need to worry about refs or Gerrard asking his players to try really hard
Not exactly nothing. Possibility to end the season up 3 places higher at 2.2 million per position. OK not a fortune for most Prem clubs but there's not a chairman in the league that would want to see his team roll over and not compete for that, given their wage bill.

Wasn't the whole point of payments for places done to try to rid the game of "meaningless" end of season matches?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.