Manchester City v Gillingham 2nd Division Play Off Final 1999 23 Years Today.

Watched this game with my daughter on Saturday morning as she has really started to get into City now she understands the game a bit more. Where I sit I’m lucky enough to be on the back row directly under the corporate in 2nd tier of North stand and every game Edgy and Morrison stand behind us. I’ve had quite a few chats with them, got pics with them with my daughter so explained the gillingham game to her many times and Saturday she sat through it with me. Glorious. In the 90th minute at 2-0 down she turned to me and said, dad, do we always beat teams so late in important games??? I laughed and went into the last 35 years of supporting City and what’s made us so grounded and appreciative. Such memories. At 2-0 that day with my brother turned to me and said are we going!!! I remember saying to him, and go where? Stand in the car park? This place is being bulldozed so let’s stay and be loyal…. The rest is history, nearly broke my leg when Dickov scored, torn ligaments and cut my knee open, well worth it. We kept the faith

Wonder if anyone ever thinks about the other man's point of view? Suppose not. I do, from time to time.

It so happens that a few weeks ago, after the Villa match, I caught the train out from Victoria to Whitstable on the Kentish coast to see friends there for the day. It stops at Gillingham. So naturally as the train stood in the station I thought about all this. I know nothing whatsoever about Gillingham, other than that match. From the train window, it looked thoroughly grim.
I take a look at their results from time to time. They've just been relegated to League 2, i.e. the old Fourth Division in reality. I wonder if any of them looked at our result against Villa, the celebrations, the pitch invasion etc., and just thought bitterly “Fuck, we bloody nearly beat this lot!”
I don't think we would have, but if we had lost that match, and if we had gone into receivership…?
Alternative histories.
Don't fret mate, Gillingham reached the play-off final again the following season, and this time they beat Wigan to claim promotion. (Tony Pulis really was a good manager at that level!) so their problems since has nothing to do with the defeat to City, apart from losing super Bob Taylor of course!

Don't fret mate, Gillingham reached the play-off final again the following season, and this time they beat Wigan to claim promotion. (Tony Pulis really was a good manager at that level!) so their problems since has nothing to do with the defeat to City, apart from losing super Bob Taylor of course!
Pulis was down the road soon after, fall out with the chairman and would have gone regardless of the result.

99, 12 & 22.

Madchester finishes.

Some kind of maths shit here … 19 to 12 to 22 (13 then 10)

WTF does 29 hold?

I am expecting City to be 3 down in the UCL Final with 5 minutes to go and Haaland to score his career City total 604, 605, 606 & 607th goals to win the game and give us our 7th consecutive UCL trophy on the trot and our 7th trophy of the season. ( PL, FA,, LC, CS, ECS & WCS)

Pep turns to the camera and says “ I am sick of this rain. I am handing over to my management team of Vinny, Ilkay & Dinho. “ as he smokes a big fuck off cigar and walks off into the sunset.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.