US Politics Thread

Can't see the video as I'm in work, but I think given the revelations of the Jan 6 commission's public hearings at lot of Republicans are starting to hedge their bets a bit and back off on the MAGA rhetoric.
“Dr Oz” has quietly dropped Trump and his endorsement from his campaign website. I still think Trump rides this out and gets the nomination.

“Dr Oz” has quietly dropped Trump and his endorsement from his campaign website. I still think Trump rides this out and gets the nomination.
I will take the other side of that bet in a friendly wager if you like. I think it will be DeSantis. While many of his slavish devotees still slurp his lice-encrusted taint, other MAGAites also have ambition and a formula for how to ride Trumpian coattails without riding his cock now. And another term for him blocks them from more power. The cult eventually has to expand beyond the personality if those in the wings are to grab the ring, and these hearings and social media silence are weakening him. The name Trump becomes like the name Jesus — more an ideal than a man as history passes. Still a cult though.

Agree.

Two (well maybe three) comments:

1) Following election, a first term US President has a tough time. He's blamed for everything that ails the American populace - even if he's done the best he could and if it would have been much worse save for his leadership. This pattern has prevailed for decades (centuries?) - reflected by loss of representation in the House/Senate in midterm elections.

Biden is facing a particularly strong headwind. He first had to get COVID under control (job largely done), and then tackle the economy (he's done the best he could but gas prices are soaring which has nothing to do with his leadership but for which he'll be blamed), and finally foreign policy (Biden wanted to focus on Asia but Putin decided to invade Ukraine, derailing his ambitions).

2) Along the same lines as 1 above - the old saw holds true - "It's the economy, stupid." Gas prices are soaring out of control. Biden is blamed. Pretty much end-of. He'll be a one-term President if gas prices/inflation aren't brought under wraps;

3) This comment @mancity1 - what is it about my posts that have you so upset? Here, and above, you have a rational discussion with Fog. But as soon as I post about US Republican lies and the threat to Democracy, you immediately attack - accusing me of picking sides - and seeming to suggest that lies and misinformation aren't a problem at all, though I honestly can't see how you'd draw this conclusion.
I didn't attack you as you allude to I just said that misinformation can be found everywhere if you choose to look for it and I thought you concurred with that sentiment.

Is misinformation a concern , well yes it probably is for some but its engrained in politics particularly those who wish to be career politicians and have to or choose to compromise their wish to be a representative of the constituents and that is all as it was around well before Trump and will be around long after his is gone.

Today largely due to the media cycle and soundbites that rule the narrative and social media its thrust upon those that wish to part take more often than in the past.

I don't share you view that US democracy is at a knife edge in terms of the electoral process.

Trump lost the last election fair and square , the voters spoke and as I have said many times he is a sore loser.

As for Fog I have said many times he makes for interesting exchange but if he disagrees with a point of view and is passionate about a response look out.

My view on him hasn't changed despite the fact I think he has exquisite taste and an excellent appreciation of music and the reasons why and his ability to explain why in terms of the pros and cons in a precise fashion that alone to me at least is worth reading.

@mancity1
Fair enough.

>> I don't share you view that US democracy is at a knife edge in terms of the electoral process.
I honestly don't see how you can draw this conclusion. We just had a President try to commit insurrection, but failed. Meanwhile, Republicans are busy putting into place laws and officials to ensure that the next time an election goes against them, they'll have the means to simply toss out election results.

I will take the other side of that bet in a friendly wager if you like. I think it will be DeSantis. While many of his slavish devotees still slurp his lice-encrusted taint, other MAGAites also have ambition and a formula for how to ride Trumpian coattails without riding his cock now. And another term for him blocks them from more power. The cult eventually has to expand beyond the personality if those in the wings are to grab the ring, and these hearings and social media silence are weakening him. The name Trump becomes like the name Jesus — more an ideal than a man as history passes. Still a cult though.
If Trump or DeSantis as the 47th POTUS the you can kiss the Republic goodbye.

I don't share you view that US democracy is at a knife edge in terms of the electoral process.

Trump lost the last election fair and square , the voters spoke and as I have said many times he is a sore loser.
The US electoral process was A SINGLE MIKE PENCE away from being subverted. Pence ultimately did the right thing. He could have acted a lot sooner and maybe Jan 6th wouldn't have played out the way it did, but he didn't go through with the plan. EVERYTHING else was in place though, and Pence ONLY had to say the words "I'm refusing to count the votes'.

The fact that he waited until the last minute leads me to believe that he was looking for a firm legal grounding to make that call, and if Trump's clown show legal team had been anything less than f*cking incompetent, then who knows where we'd be now.

Biden runs then Trump will run.

He'll sell it like it's a boxing rematch. The only way he won't is if the DOJ have arrested him for Jan 6. Which I could be possible but they have to get their arse in gear and justify it as not politicising the department.

Extremely interesting and informative analysis on the makeup of the Republican party and the waning power of the religious right. For example, it turns out that only 32% or regular Republican church-goers voted for Trump!

Sam Seder thinks that American media's response to the 1/6 hearings is surprising - I do not, as I've detailed above. At any rate, worthwhile viewing Sam's perspective:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.