Do you support the RMT?

The issue is we have decreasing quality of services and increasing concentration and disparity of wealth.

The “we’re all in it together” narrative doesn’t work when you look at individuals and how disproportionately they are being impacted.
That’s true but as disparity and wealth are a constantly moving target it very difficult to track
Companies and individuals are always at different points in their economic cycles.
As regards services it’s not all about money
You could ask anyone who uses them how could they improve services without spending money and you would get plenty of answers
I totally agree that the we are all in this together was a piss take of a slogan and should never have been thought of
We will never be in anything together because human beings will always have their own individual agendas

We have a progressive tax system in place at the moment
Personally I believe anyone making money should be allowed to keep at least 1/2 of what they earn
We are taxed more now than ever before.
The problem is raising tax rates does not usually increase the tax take.
It certainly reduces the incentive to work
The net high earners are highly mobile and can in effect do their jobs anywhere in the world and are usually welcomed with open arms.
So we have to be careful we don’t kill the goose that lays the golden egg, otherwise it’s the poor buggars on PAYE on standard income tax rates that end up paying more of the bill for public services.

We do and it’s clearly not working well enough (or our government isn’t in their spending and allocation) if wealth is being concentrated even further and the other end of the spectrum, despite working full time, are becoming reliant on food banks.

We do and it’s clearly not working well enough (or our government isn’t in their spending and allocation) if wealth is being concentrated even further and the other end of the spectrum, despite working full time, are becoming reliant on food banks.
You see again I was criticised in an earlier thread for using emotive words such as you have done with food banks.
I think they do an excellent job but as they welcome all without question they can be subject to abuse.
I know of people who use them when they have had cash in their pocket but have no qualms about doing so as it is all donated food.

They are super rich for a reason.
They have usually done something with their lives that has benefited us all and have been prepared to reward them to do so.
With the vast majority, their wealth is tied up in their Companies not some sort of cash mountain that they count every day.
You seem to forget the millions of jobs they have created and how much public services have benefitted from the amount of personal and corporate taxes which have resulted from their endeavours.
Without their money we would have very poor public services.
like baroness Mone with the ppe?

You see again I was criticised in an earlier thread for using emotive words such as you have done with food banks.
I think they do an excellent job but as they welcome all without question they can be subject to abuse.
I know of people who use them when they have had cash in their pocket but have no qualms about doing so as it is all donated food.

Don’t really see it as an emotive word as such, I was making a factual point. The increased usage of them is something we should all be questioning why, particularly in the environment of concentrated wealth going on elsewhere. Neither are signs of a well balanced society.

WUM

They have usually done something with their lives that has benefited us all and have been prepared to reward them to do so.
With the vast majority, their wealth is tied up in their Companies not some sort of cash mountain that they count every day.
You seem to forget the millions of jobs they have created and how much public services have benefitted from the amount of personal and corporate taxes which have resulted from their endeavours.
With all due respect, your objections to the RMT industrial action appear to be informed by an extremely simplistic and naive world view. You might wish to bow and scrape like some latter-day serf in gratitude for a few crumbs from the master's table. However, with an 89% mandate for strike action, clearly, the rail workers do not.
Before embarking on a Daily Mail inspired union-bashing rant, you might wish to consider what the labour movement has achieved in the last 100 years. Do you really believe that concessions such as a minimum wage, maternity and paternity rights, pension provision, holiday and sickness entitlements and safe working conditions have been freely given by employers? No, they've all had to be fought for and won as a consequence of trade union action.
You're free, of course, to express a view that this dispute is exclusively about pay. However, like the right-wing press, you'd be wrong. With a little effort, it's possible to find plenty of information concerning a much broader set of grievances such as plans to close practically all ticket offices by 2025 as part of a total restructure of station staffing which will result in the loss of almost 1,000 jobs and a significant compromise in safety standards for passengers and employees.
On the issue of Mick Lynch, I certainly don't agree with him on all matters (Brexit being an obvious example) but you'd have to be an imbecile not to acknowledge that he has, thus far, dealt with all-comers in the media very effectively. Admittedly, that job was made easier this week by the likes of Piers Moron who spent around three minutes inferring that Lynch was some kind of master criminal bent on world domination simply because his Twitter image is that of the Hood from Thunderbirds!
So, if you're content to view this dispute through Tory blue coloured spectacles, fill your boots mate.

Last edited:
Nurses do something that benefits everyday and they don't even get free car parking at work FFS. The pay doesn't reflect the back breaking work.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.