City Fan Ban

Yeah, I guess there’s a precedent there. Still seems wrong though that this guy is facing the same ban as the guy who made monkey gestures at Fred at The Etihad.
As awful as monkey gestures are, they don’t have the potential to physically harm anyone.

The smoke flares/bombs can do huge damage (as can all pyrotechnics). Do you remember the Rangers fan holding one when it exploded and he lost all his fingers and most of his hand?

It’s distressing viewing anyway but my point is that every pyrotechnic has the potential to do that and a keeper shouldn’t have to be picking one up to throw off the pitch, nor should a steward.

Racist gestures are rightly castigated and punished but I don’t think they’re as dangerous as these things being thrown on to the playing surface.

I'd have cared less about a flare on the pitch if we were 4-0 up but we had 10 minutes to score a winner to win the league and those flares weren't helping. I was livid at that moment.
We scored three in six minutes. The flares clearly did nothing to damage the team or their momentum.

In fact you could argue that the extra time allowed them to calm down and focus given what happened a few minutes later.

Last edited:
I like smoke bombs and flares in the crowd, I think they’re great and add to the aesthetics of football fan culture.

Throwing them onto the pitch is stupid though. And anyone who throws them onto the pitch when their team are chasing a goal are clueless wankers.

Last edited by a moderator:
As awful as monkey gestures are, they don’t have the potential to physically harm anyone.

The smoke flares/bombs can do huge damage (as can all pyrotechnics). Do you remember the Rangers fan holding one when it exploded and he lost all his fingers and most of his hand?

It’s distressing viewing anyway but my point is that every pyrotechnic has the potential to do that and a keeper shouldn’t have to be picking one up to throw off the pitch, nor should a steward.

Racist gestures are rightly castigated and punished but I don’t think they’re as dangerous as these things being thrown on to the playing surface.
It says he was unharmed in that article mate.

How long do you think a ban for throwing a flare on the pitch should be?
For me I would simply ban people for bringing a flare into the ground, no reason to do so... And as flares are regarded as explosives I personally feel a life-time ban is in order. Keep in mind if you have a van full of them you have to have a hazmat sticker on the side of your van.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.