I am very puzzled and quite frankly slightly hurt.

Eccles Blue

I am, as you all must be sick of reading, a bit middle aged ;-) but I don’t think I’m prejudiced against anyone (except naturally LiVARpool and that Stretford lot) and I’m definitely NOT racist or against the youth of the country. You can’t teach and be involved in education at all levels for over 50 years and not like youngsters.

So why all of a sudden is it ok to be oldageist? This month alone I’ve been patronised by 2 professionals who should know better, I read about people resenting our having to use the NHS and services. I’ve been reading about a tennis personage who has accused older people of not having good eyesight because he didn’t get what the tennis player thought he should. Now Lewis Hamilton is attacking old people.

Please someone explain to me why it is wrong to grow old? I remember years ago watching a film in which people over, I think it was 30, were ‘disposed’ of because the population was being kept under control. Is this what these people want to happen now?

I worked all my adult life, paid a full NI Stamp and still pay taxes on my Teacher Pension that I paid a percentage of my salary toward and don’t and never did claim anything at all. I was a one parent ‘family’ without support from my ex-husband as the laws were not very good in those days. My kids didn’t get free dinners (because I was too proud to apply for them) although one son did get a partial grant when he went to Uni (before loans) but he worked to pay for his accommodation and I took a part time cleaning job for a time to help with the rest. If I had been able to afford it he wouldn’t have had to apply even for that part grant.

My offspring and their offspring and my extended family love me so that helps but why are people so hurtful?

Sorry for the sort of rant but I am hurt as well as puzzled.

NHS is being stupidly underfunded, and COVID didnt quite go away. They have to adapt to people just not being well as much and dying. Average age of death will be dropping, reversing a 70 year trend.

Half joking agist attitudes is exactly what you should expect.

Oh, youre fourty. Well, shit health is to be expected. Not much point wasting time on you! Off you go, Ive got kids and shit parents who dont increasingly dont seem to know what common sense health and hygeine is... nice easy consults... fresh faces... script for antibiotics... customers for life.

Pfft.

Cant imagine what its like for over sixties.

I get it Eccles , and don’t disagree. I think it’s a sign of a greedy , I’m alright Jack culture. I think people think that they will be young forever, and the old should just fuck off with their needs. I am not explaining this well- you did a better job. Anyway I am with you!!

First of all, I hope you're well on the road to a full recovery Sheila. Good to see you as feisty as ever.

I agree with you. What grinds my gears is those 'iPad for Seniors' type of books. I'm one of those 'seniors' and I work on the design & development of some of the largest and most complex IT systems in Europe. I don't need some patronising fucker telling me how to use an iPad.

I am, as you all must be sick of reading, a bit middle aged ;-) but I don’t think I’m prejudiced against anyone (except naturally LiVARpool and that Stretford lot) and I’m definitely NOT racist or against the youth of the country. You can’t teach and be involved in education at all levels for over 50 years and not like youngsters.

So why all of a sudden is it ok to be oldageist? This month alone I’ve been patronised by 2 professionals who should know better, I read about people resenting our having to use the NHS and services. I’ve been reading about a tennis personage who has accused older people of not having good eyesight because he didn’t get what the tennis player thought he should. Now Lewis Hamilton is attacking old people.

Please someone explain to me why it is wrong to grow old? I remember years ago watching a film in which people over, I think it was 30, were ‘disposed’ of because the population was being kept under control. Is this what these people want to happen now?

I worked all my adult life, paid a full NI Stamp and still pay taxes on my Teacher Pension that I paid a percentage of my salary toward and don’t and never did claim anything at all. I was a one parent ‘family’ without support from my ex-husband as the laws were not very good in those days. My kids didn’t get free dinners (because I was too proud to apply for them) although one son did get a partial grant when he went to Uni (before loans) but he worked to pay for his accommodation and I took a part time cleaning job for a time to help with the rest. If I had been able to afford it he wouldn’t have had to apply even for that part grant.

My offspring and their offspring and my extended family love me so that helps but why are people so hurtful?

Sorry for the sort of rant but I am hurt as well as puzzled.
Because if you are to believe much of social media, everyone who is over 50 is a racist, homophobic, brexit voter with all the money, who have had the best of everything, ruined the planet and are now ruining the lives of the young.

Not a very inclusive opinion, but being ageist seems to be outside the realms of ED&I unfortunately.

Welcome to being a FOC.

NHS is being stupidly underfunded, and COVID didnt quite go away. They have to adapt to people just not being well as much and dying. Average age of death will be dropping, reversing a 70 year trend.

Half joking agist attitudes is exactly what you should expect.

Oh, youre fourty. Well, shit health is to be expected. Not much point wasting time on you! Off you go, Ive got kids and shit parents who dont increasingly dont seem to know what common sense health and hygeine is... nice easy consults... fresh faces... script for antibiotics... customers for life.

Pfft.

Cant imagine what its like for over sixties.
What about over 80s? :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.