Frenkie de Jong

Couldn’t Barca effectively force FdJ out by leaving him on the bench or not picking him for games. If he wants to keep playing for his home country then he needs to play not left out nine the cold.
They could leave him out for some games and harm his prospects no doubt. They can't leave him out permanently with no intention of playing him or as some sometimes suggest making a player train on his own or with the younger players. That would likely constitute breach of contract by the club. The player could have the contract terminated but also be able to claim damages.

What are his options?

I agree with everybody else, he shouldn’t *have to* take a pay cut but Barca can’t keep him on the wages he’s on. It’s pretty simple and pretty obvious that if he wants to stay there, he’ll have to reduce his wage.

It’s not about being on a high horse or anything like that, it’s about the club not being able to afford to pay him.

If he doesn’t want to leave, he needs to (whether rightly or wrongly) come to some sort of compromise or he’ll be shipped off.

Fine, shipped off but he doesn’t then want to go to the rags. So what does he do? Hold out for another club? Stay at Barca? Go to the rags? The first isn’t a guarantee and the other two are lessers of two evils.

Be interesting to see how it pans out.
There are 2 options. They pay him what they agreed too contractually or they sell him if a deal can be reached between all parties.

What are his options?

I agree with everybody else, he shouldn’t *have to* take a pay cut but Barca can’t keep him on the wages he’s on. It’s pretty simple and pretty obvious that if he wants to stay there, he’ll have to reduce his wage.

It’s not about being on a high horse or anything like that, it’s about the club not being able to afford to pay him.

If he doesn’t want to leave, he needs to (whether rightly or wrongly) come to some sort of compromise or he’ll be shipped off.

Fine, shipped off but he doesn’t then want to go to the rags. So what does he do? Hold out for another club? Stay at Barca? Go to the rags? The first isn’t a guarantee and the other two are lessers of two evils.

Be interesting to see how it pans out.

I respect your feelings on the topic but he not only ”shouldn’t” have to take a pay cut - he really doesn’t have to either.

Just like when you or I enter into a contract to pay an agreed amount for an agreed period (mortgage, car hp, phone contract etc.) if we were to turn around and tell them that we can’t afford to pay (so we’ll pay them less) then we’d be in breach of a contractual obligation and they would enforce the agreement through the courts.

They could leave him out for some games and harm his prospects no doubt. They can't leave him out permanently with no intention of playing him or as some sometimes suggest making a player train on his own or with the younger players. That would likely constitute breach of contract by the club. The player could have the contract terminated but also be able to claim damages.
Didnt Barca try something similar with Umtini when they wanted him gone last summer.

I respect your feelings on the topic but he not only ”shouldn’t” have to take a pay cut - he really doesn’t have to either.

Just like when you or I enter into a contract to pay an agreed amount for an agreed period (mortgage, car hp, phone contract etc.) if we were to turn around and tell them that we can’t afford to pay (so we’ll pay them less) then we’d be in breach of a contractual obligation and they would enforce the agreement through the courts.

Yeah I might not be explaining myself properly - or I might not even be clear in my point - but it seems like his employer is saying they can’t afford to keep him and have found somewhere who can.

Not up to him to definitely accept, admittedly, but I can’t imagine he’s only staying there because of the money given the rags have a history of throwing money at players who they’re desperate for.

Yeah I might not be explaining myself properly - or I might not even be clear in my point - but it seems like his employer is saying they can’t afford to keep him and have found somewhere who can.
But the 'somewhere' who can are arguably in a worse state than his current club. Why would he want to move?

Not up to him to definitely accept, admittedly, but I can’t imagine he’s only staying there because of the money given the rags have a history of throwing money at players who they’re desperate for.
He wants ucl football so even with the state that Barca are in, he's has a better chance staying & getting his contractual wages than going to the rags. If Barca really wanted him out they would be offering him around for €40m but they want their cake & to eat it, hoping the rags pay €70m at the same time as wanting him to reduce his wages.

UEFA really should be intervening in the Barca situation. The club is insolvent and unable to meet its liabilities under the contracts it has entered into with its employees. It is unacceptable on every level and the authorities should, at the very least, insist that no further signings are made until all deferred payments under existing contracts are made.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.