Most overrated City player ever?

Adam Johnson. Mancini used to get pelters from sections of the media and City fans for not starting him enough, playing him on the right and "ruining a young English talent". Did he join a top 6 team after leaving and go on to become a fixture for England? No, he went to Sunderland, and the rest, as they say, is history...

Balotelli. I liked the guy, but mavericks and "characters" tend to be overly romanticised and their ability can get over exaggerated a little. "If only he applied himself, he could have been..." I don't feel Balotelli wasted his talent from not applying himself. He has a great CV. He also played in a Euro's final, so you can't really call him a wasted talent. Just my opinion, but I feel he was as good as he could have been really, I don't feel he had a higher ceiling that he failed to reach.

Not overrated as such, but Zinchenko took on an almost mythical status after that Villa game. He went from being a squad member, to becoming an indispensable player almost on the same level as the likes of

Adam Johnson. Mancini used to get pelters from sections of the media and City fans for not starting him enough, playing him on the right and "ruining a young English talent". Did he join a top 6 team after leaving and go on to become a fixture for England? No, he went to Sunderland, and the rest, as they say, is history...

Balotelli. I liked the guy, but mavericks and "characters" tend to be overly romanticised and their ability can get over exaggerated a little. "If only he applied himself, he could have been..." I don't feel Balotelli wasted his talent from not applying himself. He has a great CV. He also played in a Euro's final, so you can't really call him a wasted talent. Just my opinion, but I feel he was as good as he could have been really, I don't feel he had a higher ceiling that he failed to reach.

Not overrated as such, but Zinchenko took on an almost mythical status after that Villa game. He went from being a squad member, to becoming an indispensable player almost on the same level as the likes of De Bruyne and Kompany.
Was johnson ever available for selection under mancini?

Very much a 'luxury' player. We never actually needed him and, although he was undeniably great entertainment, he probably derailed our progress for years.
Rodney was bought to massage Allison's ego and like you say, 'not needed'. We ended up virtually giving him away.
It's stunning how short the club's memories were when they gave Malcolm further fortunes to waste second time around. An ego in a hurry and set us back years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Give up lad. You're a biased fan who won't hear anything bad about their heroes. All players are overrated by fans and few are anywhere near as 'great' as giddy fans like to think they are/were.

Iconic players weren't necessarily great players.
All players are overrated by fans? Okay pal I’m not gonna both pulling that generalisation apart or pointing out how many can be underrated. How can any fan not be bias btw? It’s part of being a fan.

All players are overrated by fans? Okay pal I’m not gonna both pulling that generalisation apart or pointing out how many can be underrated. How can any fan not be bias btw? It’s part of being a fan.

I've been a City fan for well over 60 years, I've been a football fan just the same length if time.

There's a part of me that thinks everything City is wonderful. There's another part of me that is capable of giving an unbiased, realistic view of the game.

You should try to find that part of yourself one day.

I've been a City fan for well over 60 years, I've been a football fan just the same length if time.

There's a part of me that thinks everything City is wonderful. There's another part of me that is capable of giving an unbiased, realistic view of the game.

You should try to find that part of yourself one day.
Ok mate. I don’t know why I but the first time. If Kompany isn’t a great player in your book I dread to think who is.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.