Chelsea Thread - 2022/23 | Pochettino confirmed as new manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that you won’t want to start with a new owner by being critical. But, the reason there is no Sporting Director and football operation in place is because Boehly got rid of them. I always think that club owners should be kept away from agents and transfers, it usually doesn’t end well. Paying £55m for a left back when you already have a £50m left back seems a strange one and I do wonder what the plan is. We will see.
Both around the same age too. You could understand if Chilwell was 29 or something, but he's 25. Koulibaly is a decent signing for the short term, but I know I wouldn't be comfortable going into a season if our only CBs were a nearly 38 year-old Thiago Silva, a 32 year-old Azpilicueta, who's not really a proper CB, a 31 year-old Koulibaly, and Trevor Chalobah with just one season of PL football under his belt. Especially with a manager who favours a back three. You've got to assume they'll be looking at another one (Fofana would be great, but that price is insane). That's why it's bizarre that they're choosing to focus their efforts on a LB. And not a versatile left back that can cover multiple positions, but basically a carbon copy of what they've already got. Not that I want him to leave, but Ake would have made a lot more sense for them.

Cucarella was arguably worth 50 million to us. I can't see how he's worth even more than that to them.

Having said all that, we paid '60 million' for a right back when we already had a 50 million one.

Both around the same age too. You could understand if Chilwell was 29 or something, but he's 25. Koulibaly is a decent signing for the short term, but I know I wouldn't be comfortable going into a season if our only CBs were a nearly 38 year-old Thiago Silva, a 32 year-old Azpilicueta, who's not really a proper CB, a 31 year-old Koulibaly, and Trevor Chalobah with just one season of PL football under his belt. Especially with a manager who favours a back three. You've got to assume they'll be looking at another one (Fofana would be great, but that price is insane). That's why it's bizarre that they're choosing to focus their efforts on a LB. And not a versatile left back that can cover multiple positions, but basically a carbon copy of what they've already got. Not that I want him to leave, but Ake would have made a lot more sense for them.

Cucarella was arguably worth 50 million to us. I can't see how he's worth even more than that to them.

Having said all that, we paid '60 million' for a right back when we already had a 50 million one.

Cucurella can play left of the three left back plus left wing back and only 23/24 if he stays and play for 8/10 years at a high standard 62m is a fair value we will only know that in a year or two of him playing if he is up to it at a high level

Cucurella can play left of the three left back plus left wing back and only 23/24 if he stays and play for 8/10 years at a high standard 62m is a fair value we will only know that in a year or two of him playing if he is up to it at a high level
Can he? At the highest level? I can’t say I’d be particularly confident having a 5’8 player at CB.

I think signing Cucurella signals, to me, that there some serious questions around Chilwell's recovery from the ACL injury. He's barely kicked a ball for 10 months, and without Cucurella (and Alonso leaving) we'd go into the season with basically just a not yet fully recovered Chilwell and Emerson, who is crap.

It's a lot of money, there's no getting away from that. Huge overpay but I'm pleased we're getting the player, and not losing Colwill for good.

Bet a lot of people thought that about Jack. He's quality and I guess that's what Brighton want for him.
Couple of differences with Jack, he was pretty much established as a top player and he had a buy out clause so we had to pay that, Cucarella may prove to be worth that money though.

I think signing Cucurella signals, to me, that there some serious questions around Chilwell's recovery from the ACL injury. He's barely kicked a ball for 10 months, and without Cucurella (and Alonso leaving) we'd go into the season with basically just a not yet fully recovered Chilwell and Emerson, who is crap.
Yeah, I assumed that too. You're really light in defence this summer, unless he's planning on switching to four at the back. Wasn't there also talk of Azpilicueta leaving?

Couple of differences with Jack, he was pretty much established as a top player and he had a buy out clause so we had to pay that, Cucarella may prove to be worth that money though.
I think if Cucarella had another years experience in the Premier league City would have paid the 50 odd million fee no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.