Tenuous connections to Manchester City players old and new.

ColinBellsjockstrap

I'll start the ball rolling :)

In City's first ever game at Maine Road in 1923, appearing for City at number 7 was Scottish international footballer Alex Donaldson. When he retired, Alex opened a Sports Shop in Hyde Road Gorton, near Belle Vue.

In 1959, my dad, who bought and sold second hand sewing machines on the market, fancied owning a sports shop, so bought the business, so there's my tenuous link.webmedia.jpg

Attachments

• i37yhf.jpg
    i37yhf.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
One of my dad's uncles, one of the few Rags in the 'extended family' apparently started life as a blue. He said he changed allegiances because the City keeper at the time, Frank Swift, supposedly 'nicked his girlfriend'?
Not sure how true the story was or how far he actually went to the darkside because I remember him supporting Southampton in the 76 FA Cup Final as he said he liked to see the underdog do well!!!

Lived in Chorlton for 20+ years (1984-2007) and never bumped into Denis Law. Bloody ex-wife saw him loads. She did get me his autograph.
I’m Scottish so Denis is a double hero to me.
I once missed Denis by only 5 minutes. He’d been at Frost the butchers whilst I was at King Bee records talking to Les Hare about “typical City”.
Is that tenuous enough??

My mother once worked with Arthur Mann's wife.
When I was a kid, David Wagstaffe came around to our school. He was working as a council gardener in the summer.
One of my mother's friends was vaguely related to Colin Bell's wife.
I once bought some shirts from Mike Summerbee.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.