Most momentous International event in your lifetime?

Losing my ship/oppos to enemy action in the Falklands War on a personal level.

Moon landing
Chernobyl
9/11
Boxing Day/JapanTsunami
Space Shuttle explosion
To name a few.

9/11, was only 10 at the time and this in hindsight feels a lot like a before and after moment in history. I never travelled by plane pre 9/11, so wouldn't know of the changes it really made in that regard.....

The arena bombing. I can still remember sitting slack jawed in front of Sky News, had an interview that morning and was fresh out of the shower.

7/7 was also a good shout. I was at a rehearsal for a school awards evening (my one and only award of that type) and whispers going around the hall about what had happened. A fair portion didnt come back in the evening for the real thing due to fear of using public transport.

COVID. Putin sat looking menacing at a desk. That bloke on BBC in black with tears in his eyes when the Queen died. The Goat equalising at Blackburn.

September 2008 : City beat Portsmouth 6-0 on the day Khaldoon Al Mubarak is unveiled as Chairman, two days before the takeover was officially completed.

Being personally affected, ISIS murdering my Uncle Alan. It was surreal at the time and although me and the family were understandably distraught, I had a second wave of grief 3 years later when the Arena was bombed during the Ariana Grande concert (that woman should have a statue outside the arena by the way). It felt like the bastards had directly affected my family and my home city.

Alan had once picked me up from the Arena after an Oasis concert when me and my mates were beating up a vending machine. He never told my Dad what I was up to on the numerous occasions that he saw me whilst he was on the taxis.

I went through the weirdest period of paranoia in my life after Alan was killed. A mate from school had lived in Lyon for a time and there was a terror attack over there not long after. I sent Joe a message asking if he was alright. He was baffled until I explained about the attack in Lyon then replied "I've been living back in England for over a year Kev." There was a terror attack in Australia (Melbourne I think) and I immediately thought another mate from school had been the victim. Turns out he lived north of Sydney - a 10 hour drive from Melbourne.

I was a period of time that I truly came to understand the word "terror". Alan was killed but our family were absolutely terrorised by the whole experience.

Being personally affected, ISIS murdering my Uncle Alan. It was surreal at the time and although me and the family were understandably distraught, I had a second wave of grief 3 years later when the Arena was bombed during the Ariana Grande concert (that woman should have a statue outside the arena by the way). It felt like the bastards had directly affected my family and my home city.

Alan had once picked me up from the Arena after an Oasis concert when me and my mates were beating up a vending machine. He never told my Dad what I was up to on the numerous occasions that he saw me whilst he was on the taxis.

I went through the weirdest period of paranoia in my life after Alan was killed. A mate from school had lived in Lyon for a time and there was a terror attack over there not long after. I sent Joe a message asking if he was alright. He was baffled until I explained about the attack in Lyon then replied "I've been living back in England for over a year Kev." There was a terror attack in Australia (Melbourne I think) and I immediately thought another mate from school had been the victim. Turns out he lived north of Sydney - a 10 hour drive from Melbourne.

I was a period of time that I truly came to understand the word "terror". Alan was killed but our family were absolutely terrorised by the whole experience.

A like doesn't feel appropriate but couldn't leave this unacknowledged.

9/11. The world changed forever that day. Just very surreal watching it live for 9 hours. Remember all TV feeds switching to New York after the first plane hit and pretty much everyone thinking it was a terrible accident but then watching the second plane slam into the second tower I knew it was much more serious than that. Then the reports came in about the pentagon and fiight 93 it was just unreal. Really couldn't process it.

Berlin Wall. Remember watching than live. it was just after my birthday and as a 14 year old kid didn't really fully understand what was happening. The next day in school we had a special assembly and our headmaster explained how significant this was for Europe and the rest of the world and that it was the beginning of the end for the Soviet Union and he was right.

93:20 & the takeover. No explanation needed I think.

Oh also the birth of my son!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.