Cover bands

Samsdad

Have been asked to go to this manchester cover bands gig at the academy in december

Have been to loads of gigs over the years,but never been to see a cover/tribute band

I dont get cover bands at all i just think its a cop out or that you cant write your own material etc etc,
(apologies to any bluemooner who is part of one,no offence intended)

Obviously there is a market for such bands

Anyone been to see a cover band and would you recommend going ?

Suppose if i stand at the back get drunk and dont look at the band and just listen to the music i might be ok lol

The Australian pink floyd are better live imo than pink floyd. The Barron Knights were brilliant!

I've seen a few cover bands and the "point" was I got to see some bands which highly resembled my favourite bands when they were in their prime, something I had missed out on either due to different generation or the tickets usually cost too much to see the real band.

Example was I went and saw a Smiths tribute band at the academy, and it felt like I was actually seeing Morrissey live (haha) in a small venue, costing me a few quid for the ticket.
Same with a Stone Roses tribute band I saw - they were actually better than the real stone roses I saw during that shitty reunion gig at heaton park amongst every jeremy kyle guest, cost me alot less on the ticket and had 200,000 less people in front of me throwing piss.

I've seen a few Smiths / Morrissey tribute bands - I know I am not seeing the Smiths, but they are an evening out with a few beers and to have a good sing a long with friends.
Go there with the intention of having a good night out rather than going as a critic, telling everyone ''the guitarist couldn't nail 'How Soon Is Now' like Johnny did...''

Have been asked to go to this manchester cover bands gig at the academy in december

Have been to loads of gigs over the years,but never been to see a cover/tribute band

I dont get cover bands at all i just think its a cop out or that you cant write your own material etc etc,

Suppose if i stand at the back get drunk and dont look at the band and just listen to the music i might be ok lol

I think cover bands are great, a good night out all round. I love live music and anyone who plays is alright by me. As for the point about not writing their music, that of course is not necessarily true. Following the live music scene where I live I know that these musicians write their own music and often play a few of their songs in different gigs here and there. My friends band Pollen Count where I live are one of the best bands I know for sheer talent. Brian the drummer and singer was in The Stories, they had chart hits with Steve Balsamo singing for them and toured the world supporting Van Morrison and Elton John and others. His new band play brilliant covers, the sort you dont often here as well - no Summer of 69 or Bon Jovi bollocks. A cop out it certainly is not.

A good friend of mine has a Pink Floyd cover band called `Think Floyd' they'll be playing in Sale mid October.....check them out and tell me if they're any good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.