Cape Town

I loved it but I was there 20 years ago, it had great nightlife, robbed island was great, we went up the mountain, to good beaches, great wine and out to see townships and animals etc.

The problem when I went was that we kept getting told if we went to X or y we would get shot but the best times we had were in predominantly black nightclubs talking about football. The only trouble I had was having to argue with locals about whether Quentin fortune was a rag twat or a football hero.

Robben island back then was entirely staffed by ex prisoners and some of the stories and discussions were incredibly interesting as was seeing the place not too long by after apartheid went. I felt the same going to Berlin, Budapest , Prague in 1990 there was something incredibly interesting and edgy that seemed to have gone when I went back in future years

Last edited:
Yaya Tony - Its called a Bunny Chow - basically half a loaf of uncut bread, hollowed out and filled with curry. As you say it is hot and needs washing down with a beer or two.

OP - I live in SA and have been to CT a number of times. At R20 to the pound you can live the high life. The posters have covered most of the better things to do such as the wine tours, cable car to the top of Table Mountain, Cape Point tour and the V&A waterfront has restaurants, pubs, decent night life, boat trips etc. You can try shark cage diving if your that way inclined and I suggest a sunset cruise around the bay. There is a company that does the Cape Point tour and it takes in Hout Bay, a trip to Seal Island, the penguins at another beach (forgot the name), brief trip to the botanical gardens and gentle drive around the peninsula.

There is a trip to Robben Island but unless you know a bit about SA's history, it can be a bit boring and political but you could tick it off your bucket list.

I wouldn't bother with a car as the tours are cheap enough and you wont have the hassle of parking, getting lost or drinking & driving. The pubs & restaurants in the smaller town around CT are also good value - Hout Bay, Camps Bay etc. It wont be rugby season so that's out and I don't think that its whale watching season. Not sure about cricket.

I am also going in December and will probably do some of these again.

Enjoy.

What are your worlds best Cities (aside from Manchester?)
That I've visited?

Chicago
Vienna
Berlin
Boston
Tokyo
London
Florence
Seville
Hong Kong
Edinburgh
Washington DC
Hanoi
New York
Venice
Barcelona
Vegas
San Fran
Bangkok
Paris
Singapore (if that counts)

Most disappointing:

Cape Town
Sydney
Madrid
Stockholm
Athens
Marrakech
Milan

Cities I've not been to, but really want to go at some point:

Valencia
Dubrovnik
St Petersberg
Toronto
New Orleans
Lyon
Tehran
Rio
Bologna
Dubai
Shanghai
Dallas
Beijing
Mumbai
Kingston

That I've visited?

Chicago
Vienna
Berlin
Boston
Tokyo
London
Florence
Seville
Hong Kong
Edinburgh
Washington DC
Hanoi
New York
Venice
Barcelona
Vegas
San Fran
Bangkok
Paris
Singapore (if that counts)

Most disappointing:

Cape Town
Sydney
Madrid
Stockholm
Athens
Marrakech
Milan

Cities I've not been to, but really want to go at some point:

Valencia
Dubrovnik
St Petersberg
Toronto
New Orleans
Lyon
Tehran
Rio
Bologna
Dubai
Shanghai
Dallas
Beijing
Mumbai
Kingston

It's interesting how different we all are. I can't comment on Marrakech or Chicago but have visited the others. I really didn't have much time for Some of those places washington, Venice and Vienna and really don't like Singapore which I have been too many times and find the most superficial place on earth and really like an American/Asian corporate head office than a country.

But I think Stockholm is absolutely stunning and a place I loved living , Madrid was awesome the food, places to go, museums and history were awesome, Sydney I loved so much I moved here and cape town too I found so alive and so varied in the things to do.

I sometimes wonder if I went back to different places for different reasons at different times I would feel different.

What I will agree on is Florence - truly stunning.

As for the places you mention not having been to haven't been to many but. Mumbai is the most alive place you will ever go, Lyon is for the food truly amazing and Beijing utterly fascinating as the marriage of pure capitalism and symbolic soviet style communist symbology alongside the Chinese culture is amazing.

New Orleans one of the top on my list but to be honest most places I want to go are not the city's but the coastlines, mountains and lakes of the world

It's interesting how different we all are. I can't comment on Marrakech or Chicago but have visited the others. I really didn't have much time for Some of those places washington, Venice and Vienna and really don't like Singapore which I have been too many times and find the most superficial place on earth and really like an American/Asian corporate head office than a country.

But I think Stockholm is absolutely stunning and a place I loved living , Madrid was awesome the food, places to go, museums and history were awesome, Sydney I loved so much I moved here and cape town too I found so alive and so varied in the things to do.

I sometimes wonder if I went back to different places for different reasons at different times I would feel different.

What I will agree on is Florence - truly stunning.

As for the places you mention not having been to haven't been to many but. Mumbai is the most alive place you will ever go, Lyon is for the food truly amazing and Beijing utterly fascinating as the marriage of pure capitalism and symbolic soviet style communist symbology alongside the Chinese culture is amazing.

New Orleans one of the top on my list but to be honest most places I want to go are not the city's but the coastlines, mountains and lakes of the world

I've been thinking about a trip to South Africa and it is interesting the opinions people have on places. I loved Sydney, but largely because I spent 6 months drinking and on the beach there so have many fond memories.

I loved Singapore, I stayed in Little India and it was fascinating. If you get beneath that corporate side it's a wonderful place. Hoping to go to Hong Kong and Tokyo next year. I also found Stockholm to be a great place, and liked the old town. I went to Toronto as a kid and loved it - went to the baseball and up the CN Tower. I don't think it's got a huge amount to offer and Vancouver was probably better because of the proximity to the mountains and the draw of Vancouver Island.

I think there's a great deal of truth in that. Certainly my views on Singapore are influenced by the trip and the company therein, as much, if not more than the place. Upon reflection I perhaps over stretched a little in including it, but I stand by all the other choices.

Edit: In fairness to Stockholm the weather was foul; mum and dad went there on a Baltic cruise a couple of years ago and both loved it, so I may have been a little harsh there, but I had a very underwhelming visit.

I've been thinking about a trip to South Africa and it is interesting the opinions people have on places. I loved Sydney, but largely because I spent 6 months drinking and on the beach there so have many fond memories.

I loved Singapore, I stayed in Little India and it was fascinating. If you get beneath that corporate side it's a wonderful place. Hoping to go to Hong Kong and Tokyo next year. I also found Stockholm to be a great place, and liked the old town. I went to Toronto as a kid and loved it - went to the baseball and up the CN Tower. I don't think it's got a huge amount to offer and Vancouver was probably better because of the proximity to the mountains and the draw of Vancouver Island.
Vancouver amazing place I loved it, mountains, sea in the same place, Wonderful city and one of the few places on earth I could ever imagine leaving Sydney for. Loved the fact grouse mountain etc were on lifts from a back garden

Vancouver amazing place I loved it, mountains, sea in the same place, Wonderful city and one of the few places on earth I could ever imagine leaving Sydney for. Loved the fact grouse mountain etc were on lifts from a back garden
It's funny, I spent a couple of weeks in Vancouver in '99 and thought it was ok, but nothing more. I realise I'm very much in a minority when I say that.

I think there's a great deal of truth in that. Certainly my views on Singapore are influenced by the trip and the company therein, as much, if not more than the place. Upon reflection I perhaps over stretched a little in including it, but I stand by all the other choices.

Edit: In fairness to Stockholm the weather was foul; mum and dad went there on a Baltic cruise a couple of years ago and both loved it, so I may have been a little harsh there, but I had a very underwhelming visit.

I had the same with Rome, Venice , Vienna. Everything about those places, history, museums, places to eat - mean I should absolutely love them and had a great time but all left me feeing disappointed. M

Stockholm in the summer is stunning , the walks, the weather, a truly wonderful place. I left after 6 months though as I just thought I couldn't do the winter and would hate it!

You are near enough to go to Lyon for the weekend - do it and stuff more quality French food down your throat than you ever imagined possible

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.