Cape Town

It's funny, I spent a couple of weeks in Vancouver in '99 and thought it was ok, but nothing more. I realise I'm very much in a minority when I say that.
You are clearly not someone who loves a harbour and sea above most. Stockholm, Vancouver, Sydney, Cape Town, San fransisco amongst my absolute favourites. The feeling of freshness from the air and the sea, the feeling of space and serenity for me are just something that makes me feel alive. I think it's because I have lived in the city and country and need a bit of both. I really love cities that feel that they are half countryside, sea and space with clean air etc. Others love hurly burly and find the above tedious

I had the same with Rome, Venice , Vienna. Everything about those places, history, museums, places to eat - mean I should absolutely love them and had a great time but all left me feeing disappointed. M

Stockholm in the summer is stunning , the walks, the weather, a truly wonderful place. I left after 6 months though as I just thought I couldn't do the winter and would hate it!

You are near enough to go to Lyon for the weekend - do it and stuff more quality French food down your throat than you ever imagined possible
My and my lad are doing a driving holiday through Europe next summer (we did Route 66 this year) and I intend to incorporate Lyon and Valencia as well as Bilbao, which I missed off my 'to do' list.

So much to see in this amazing world.

My and my lad are doing a driving holiday through Europe next summer (we did Route 66 this year) and I intend to incorporate Lyon and Valencia as well as Bilbao, which I missed off my 'to do' list.

So much to see in this amazing world.

Just out of interest (as I'm planning on doing the Far East next year), which places would you recommend. I'm currently trying to see how much time off work I can blag in order to see China and Japan in one trip. I've always wanted to go on the bullet train as I'm a rather dull individual. I also love cities so Shanghai and Hong Kong would be good to see. Any places in particular you'd recommend over others? I then need to look at logistics, seems best value for money flying between HK and Tokyo and booking a multicity flight.

Just out of interest (as I'm planning on doing the Far East next year), which places would you recommend. I'm currently trying to see how much time off work I can blag in order to see China and Japan in one trip. I've always wanted to go on the bullet train as I'm a rather dull individual. I also love cities so Shanghai and Hong Kong would be good to see. Any places in particular you'd recommend over others? I then need to look at logistics, seems best value for money flying between HK and Tokyo and booking a multicity flight.

Tokyo incredibly interesting place where you can just wander all day feeling very safe and very alien and constantly intrigued. Hong Kong again alive and so much to do - a real drinking and culinary capital too. Beijing I would strongly recommend too.

What do you like doing, what are your priorities. Do you like hot or cold, rural or urban, modern or historical, crowded or space what do you want to see???

In South East Asia I would say Hong Kong and Tokyo are a must. Vietnam is amazing. The contrast between Hanoi and Ho Chi Min is worth experiencing. Did Cambodia; thought it was ok and probably too much traveling from the far flung parts of SE Asia, as is Thailand and Malaysia. Always wondered what Seoul would be like.

Tokyo; Hong Kong; Shanghai and possibly Vietnam would be my suggestion.

In South East Asia I would say Hong Kong and Tokyo are a must. Vietnam is amazing. The contrast between Hanoi and Ho Chi Min is worth experiencing. Did Cambodia; thought it was ok and probably too much traveling from the far flung parts of SE Asia, as is Thailand and Malaysia. Always wondered what Seoul would be like.

Tokyo; Hong Kong; Shanghai and possibly Vietnam would be my suggestion.

Thanks for the tip. I've done South East Asia, I flew from Perth to Singapore and travelled overland through Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia Vietnam etc. Vietnam is a fantastic place and one that people need to visit sooner rather than later, because it will go the way of Thailand and high rise hotels are already popping up where they were nowhere to be seen before. I loved the French influence in Ho Chi Minh. I'm just trying to work out where I want to go and what I want to see, guilty of looking at too many place, the Philippines have always tempted me but although it's only a 2hr flight from HK, it doesn't really work with the rest of the itinerary.

I might look at flying to Tokyo and spending 5-7 days in Japan and then flying to HK and travelling overland up to Shanghai and Beijing before heading home from there. I've seen there are some good beach spots near HK if I fancy a couple of days away from the hussle and bussle of the cities.

Sorry for hijacking thread OP!

Tokyo incredibly interesting place where you can just wander all day feeling very safe and very alien and constantly intrigued. Hong Kong again alive and so much to do - a real drinking and culinary capital too. Beijing I would strongly recommend too.

What do you like doing, what are your priorities. Do you like hot or cold, rural or urban, modern or historical, crowded or space what do you want to see???

I'm one of those annoying people who likes all of that! As it's likely to be more of a cultural/city trip I'll save the beaches and warm weather for another time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.