First visit in Manchester for over 10 years

Danish_blue

Hi guys & gals,

Finally coming back to Manchester after not being in over 10 years. My only visit at the Etihad (Eastlands) was in april 2005, when we meet Liverpool. Before then i´ve been at Maine Road about 10 times during time. I´m coming over for the weekend to watch the Liverpool game. Arriving in Manchester at 12 friday.

I´ve always stayed in Fallowfield when i´ve been abroad (From Denmark), but the thing is now. My lack of memory does not allow me to remember where to go and drink and eat. My mates and I prefer good old english pubs, near the center. Though we do want to go the Friendship Inn in Fallowfield to go back in history.

I´ve planned to visit the CFA on friday, but the saturday is all drinking day before and after the game.

Any guys could give me a clue where to get the best of the best (Old Pub wise) and is Mary´D´s still a go place to go prematch?

Kind regards
Nicolai

The Friendship is still there and is the only decent pub in Fallowfield - landlord is a blue.

In town, there's loads of proper old English pubs. Briton's Protection, Peveril of the Peak, Vine Inn, City Arms, Salisbury, Abercrombie, Circus Tavern, Grey Horse are just some of them that are within 5 minutes walk of the Town Hall. Plenty more in the Northern quarter.

The Friendship is still there and is the only decent pub in Fallowfield - landlord is a blue.

In town, there's loads of proper old English pubs. Briton's Protection, Peveril of the Peak, Vine Inn, City Arms, Salisbury, Abercrombie, Circus Tavern, Grey Horse are just some of them that are within 5 minutes walk of the Town Hall. Plenty more in the Northern quarter.

Brilliant! Thank you very much!

What about Mary´D´s for the pregame? Is that the place to be?

Good pub in back piccadilly for pre match, generally a place for nordic lads to meet though so maybe you want just to be around mancs for some insane reason hehe.
If so a few pubs are known are popular for pre match drinks, take your pick really.

Fallowfield is a bit busier with even more students but nothing much has changed.

You can get a tram to the ground now!

In town all the old pubs are still going strong but the Northern Quarter has changed a lot in the last 10 years. Its full of quirky bars with many that aim to sell over priced import ales to men in tight jeans and beards. That said there are some good old pubs in there as well and it is a vibrant place so well worth a visit / night out. Mary D’s has had a makeover in the last couple of years, worth going in for a pint after the game till the traffic dies down and then get a taxi back to town.

Enjoy.

Hi guys & gals,

Finally coming back to Manchester after not being in over 10 years. My only visit at the Etihad (Eastlands) was in april 2005, when we meet Liverpool. Before then i´ve been at Maine Road about 10 times during time. I´m coming over for the weekend to watch the Liverpool game. Arriving in Manchester at 12 friday.

I´ve always stayed in Fallowfield when i´ve been abroad (From Denmark), but the thing is now. My lack of memory does not allow me to remember where to go and drink and eat. My mates and I prefer good old english pubs, near the center. Though we do want to go the Friendship Inn in Fallowfield to go back in history.

I´ve planned to visit the CFA on friday, but the saturday is all drinking day before and after the game.

Any guys could give me a clue where to get the best of the best (Old Pub wise) and is Mary´D´s still a go place to go prematch?

Kind regards
Nicolai

If you want decent beer before you go to the ground then Port Street Beer House is a good a option as any as it's right on the edge of town towards the ground. My old man tends to go to the Old Monkey on Portland Street or the Circus Tavern before a match where you will find City fans but quiet City fans enjoying a Joey Holts or Tetley's.

If it's football atmosphere that you want and half decent beer then Tib Street Tavern is a good call.

if you want the atmosphere and shite beer then i'd suggest Mothermacs or Mary D's.

Skål!

You have got some good advice from people on here.
Northern Quarter ( Behind Piccadilly ) Go up Oldham St, is great and is now full of City pre and after match.
Briton's Protection is a great Pub but a bit out of the way, if you go there you would be best going.
BP/Pevril of the Peak/Old Monkey/Circus and getting back towards Piccadilly end.
If you want an old Manchester Institution try Mother Macs ( 33 Back Piccadilly a little alley at the back of Picc )
You could then go into the Northern Quarter and finish off at The Hare and Hounds on Shudehill another old Manchester boozer, with Lower Turk's Head next door
You can then get tram across road straight to the ground. (Get the Ashton Tram only )
AVOID Weatherspoons Piccadilly and the Pubs on the right side of London Rd on the way to Piccadilly.
Also IMO the Pubs round the ground are shit, especially Mary D's plastic glasses, shit overpriced and in some cases out of date beer.
Have a great trip hope we get a win for you.

PS You might find Fallowfield full of Students these days, much better to carry on to Didsbury Village, some good Pubs, Station and Royal Oak in particular
good old boozers. Didsbury Village is also full of Blues.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.