CL Last 16 (Dinamo Kiev) (NO City away fans) (24 feb and 15 mar)

Kiev's chairman had a point we are very naive in Europe, and the last time we played them they gave us a master class in European gamesmanship and cynicism.

One of the easier ties but by no means a walk over. Be all the sweeter to get revenge and make him eat his words.

I’ve been saying for years we need to wise up in Europe and master the 1-0 win.

We lost to Kiev last time round with a pretty experienced Mancini squad. Balotelli did get sent off (IIRC) but we had some decent players then, many the same as we have now. We also messed up the CSKA games last year where they were similar, an unfancied eastern European outfit and us playing away in front of a small / strange crowd.

We really need to learn from our mistakes. Playing away first is a huge advantage, we have to get a clean sheet there. No reason why we can’t go there and get c60% possession and a clean sheet! Scoring should be seen secondary to the clean sheet. If we can sus them out over 90mins away and can’t beat them at home then we really don’t deserve to get through.

We lost to Kiev last time round with a pretty experienced Mancini squad. Balotelli did get sent off (IIRC) but we had some decent players then, many the same as we have now. We also messed up the CSKA games last year where they were similar, an unfancied eastern European outfit and us playing away in front of a small / strange crowd.

We really need to learn from our mistakes. Playing away first is a huge advantage, we have to get a clean sheet there. No reason why we can’t go there and get c60% possession and a clean sheet! Scoring should be seen secondary to the clean sheet. If we can sus them out over 90mins away and can’t beat them at home then we really don’t deserve to get through.

Spot on.

I have a slightly different view. The game where a clean sheet is most important is the home leg - then we don't concede any away goals. Away from home the most important thing is to score. 0-0 away is not the best result in the world, because then 1 Kiev goal at our place and we suddenly need 2. It's all about away goals.

I have a slightly different view. The game where a clean sheet is most important is the home leg - then we don't concede any away goals. Away from home the most important thing is to score. 0-0 away is not the best result in the world, because then 1 Kiev goal at our place and we suddenly need 2. It's all about away goals.

City, clean sheets? The way we're playing we might as well just hope to outscore them.

clean sheet...pah.

My issue though is we never manage a clean sheet. We get picked off every time and we end up needing 2 or 3 goals to get any result. We might get past Kiev that way but we will never make a serious challenge. We will never out score one of the big boys but if we can defend well and pick up 1-0 wins we would have a chance against anyone!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.