If we signed Guardiola, which players would thrive & struggle?

Disagree with seemingly everyone with regards to Bony. He's struggling now under Pellegrini's "tactics" under Pep, he'd thrive, we'd actually play to his strengths. People are doing him a huge disservice to label him as simply a target man. Lewandowski has scored plenty of headed goals for Bayern, His Bayern team aren't his Barcelona team where the ball never leaves the floor, they put in plenty of crosses when the time is right and Bony would benefit hugely from them.

Can only think of two players that are questionable as to whether they would thrive under Pep. first is Yaya. It would be depending on what role he's given and whether he's willing to be disciplined enough to play that role. The second is Navas. Works tirelessly and would fit in in that regard but doesn't offer enough going forward, hugs the touchline and rarely moves, Peps Bayern wingers offer more than that, whether that's cutting inside for a shot and allowing the fullback the outside space or whether it's offering diagonal runs in behind. Navas currently offers neither.

Only other player is Hart. Not suggesting he'd be sold or anything but If he wants to play the high line he plays at Bayern, will he expect Hart to sweep like Neuer? Harts decision making in terms of when to come and when to stay is questionable.

Hart will be fine. Guardiola adapted his defence to take advantage of Neuer's redisposition to sweeping, it doens't mean everyone he ever coaches will need a sweeper keeper. Plus Hart's never been asked to do it, so we can't exactly judge him for it.

As for Bony, he's not mobile enough. He needs to drop some weight and start running the channels for the benefit of the attacking midfielders. Maybe Pep could make him do that, but probably not. Lewandowski is the complete striker, comparing him to Bony is a bit of a joke, Ibrahimovic and Mandzukic are much more like Bony in terms of play style, and both got the boot from Pep.

Disagree with seemingly everyone with regards to Bony. He's struggling now under Pellegrini's "tactics" under Pep, he'd thrive, we'd actually play to his strengths. People are doing him a huge disservice to label him as simply a target man. Lewandowski has scored plenty of headed goals for Bayern, His Bayern team aren't his Barcelona team where the ball never leaves the floor, they put in plenty of crosses when the time is right and Bony would benefit hugely from them.

Can only think of two players that are questionable as to whether they would thrive under Pep. first is Yaya. It would be depending on what role he's given and whether he's willing to be disciplined enough to play that role. The second is Navas. Works tirelessly and would fit in in that regard but doesn't offer enough going forward, hugs the touchline and rarely moves, Peps Bayern wingers offer more than that, whether that's cutting inside for a shot and allowing the fullback the outside space or whether it's offering diagonal runs in behind. Navas currently offers neither.

Only other player is Hart. Not suggesting he'd be sold or anything but If he wants to play the high line he plays at Bayern, will he expect Hart to sweep like Neuer? Harts decision making in terms of when to come and when to stay is questionable.
I think Bony will struggle because of his mobility albeit he does have good close control. I also think that Navas will surprise some. He certainly has the close control that Pep likes and I do think he will respond to the coaching methods which are quite prescriptive regarding positional awareness. Pep looks at a football pitch as a chess board and part of his training methods are coaching players to be in the right 'squares' for each stage of play. A pep team would never see winger and full back in the same space at the same time which is something we see with Jesus.

I actually think Mangala could thrive. More protection for the back four, a more controlled defensive plan should mean fewer brain farts and a little more time to think and adjust. Here's hoping anyway
People talk a lot about how Mangala is only lacking in the mental side of the game, usually people writing him off, as if it's something which can't be improved (absolute bollocks). There is no reason why Guardiola's coaching can't be the thing that turns Mangala into the world class CB he has threatened to be in between lapses of judgement.

People talk a lot about how Mangala is only lacking in the mental side of the game, usually people writing him off, as if it's something which can't be improved (absolute bollocks). There is no reason why Guardiola's coaching can't be the thing that turns Mangala into the world class CB he has threatened to be in between lapses of judgement.
Absolutely. Physically he's got everything he needs, and I don't think he's as bad as some make out. Boating was dismissed by a lot of Blues but he's generally done ok at Bayern.

I actually think Mangala could thrive. More protection for the back four, a more controlled defensive plan should mean fewer brain farts and a little more time to think and adjust. Here's hoping anyway
I agree with you. Pep will be far more prescriptive about what he expects from our defence. The whole team will be drilled and organised defensively, each understanding their role and i think Mangala will respond to that.

Don't see why any of the current players would suffer under Pep. If anything they should thrive, that's why he's being brought in. This is a manager who's got to the latter stages of the Champs League with Boateng and Dante at centre half and is still getting a tune out of Alonso at 36

Someone mentioned Kolarov struggling before - I can see that happening as well. Not the greatest in possession, can give the ball away very cheaply.

Another I'm unsure is De Bruyne, given his direct and risk taking style of play. He have to "dumb himself down" a bit. It'd be interesting to see his game being incorporated with Guardiola.

I think a few people are selling Nasri short a bit - his supposed attitude problems are overblown, the guy has worked very hard on the pitch for the last two-ish seasons. I could see Guardiola even playing him from deep, should he come on board.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.